New Discs, Old Pad Bedding in Procedure?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thedadio
My Cars:

New Discs, Old Pad Bedding in Procedure?

Post by thedadio »

Hi I need a bit of help, after somehow damaging my original well worn discs with crap pads and incorrect bedding in, i decided to buy cheapo discs and attempt to run them in with the new cheapo crap pads, again not following any sort of run in process.. MAJOR judder througout speed range. Removed discs cleaned mating sufaces completley, still judder. So changed pads for Lucas much better quality, and cheaper than the cheapest pads i could find, and i bought them from a Lucas shop!. Even more judder. These were changed in cornwall 1 hour b4 a trip back to slough. Major judder at any speeds, light braking from 90 felt like driving over multiple speed humps and the steering wheel didnt know which way i wanted to go. Minimal Run-out b4 fitting.
Replaced discs with 12.49 each ones, still have the lucas pads on, ive only done 20 miles of town driving with very soft braking.
No judder wobble at all,
Any tips on running-in this new setup? I cant afford another set of discs and pads, nor can i handle a 9 th time this week taking apart the brakes in the snow!
Cheers
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

all i tell my customers at work is,use the brakes as normal,avoid heavy braking,if you need to brake suddenly ,do so.
thedadio
My Cars:

Post by thedadio »

Thanks for the reply... but how long until i can commence hard braking? Ive read plenty of websites which suggest Doing the following...
Get the car upto 60mph then lightly brake to 45.. repeat this 5 times.
Then Again Getup to 60mph, then brake hard down to 10 mph not letting the car come to a complete halt, then allow the discs to cool for driving with minimal braking for at least 10 minutes...
Will this work for standard pads and discs, or only performance?
I will be looking for new calipers soon , can anyone suggest where i can get 4 piston calipers for a 306 dt? 2 pistons each side of the caliper?
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

different manufacturers say different things,basicly dont tear up to junctions etc and brake at the last minute.
my boss has a new evo 8,just up rated the brakes and the manufacturer says to brake hard from 100mph-60mph ten times to bed the brakes in!!!!(sounds like maddness)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Interesting.. I've never bothered doing anything special for bedding in new brake parts. Just fit and forget. I don't tend to brake heavily anyway, but it's never been a problem. I don't even bother cleaning the braking surface of the disc before fitting... the pads tend to remove anything on the disc within seconds anyway.
Brake shudder would suggest that there is definitely something amis. Have you cleaned the mounting surface between hub and disc? any corrosion or dirt under here will give you excessive run-out. Another problem I've fouind with el-cheapo pads for Pugs (especially for Lockheed or Bendix calipers) is that they don't actually fit properly. A gentle "fettling" with a grinder has often been necessary to get them to fit properly. If you can find a spare pair of Girling calipers, they are generally the best design, and the pads actually fit.
Another thing that is often overlooked is the brake fluid. Anything over 2 years old it's worth changing it pronto. The pedal feel is often improved and braking becomes smoother. In the past I have drained/bled fluid from an 8-year old car that has clearly never had it's fluid changed. The differece just for changing the fluid was amazing.