peugeot 306

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark c
My Cars:

peugeot 306

Post by mark c »

can anyone with any knowledge on 306's pls read this,
two guys i know have bought a 1.4 l reg 306.its the model with a carb and a coil pack.
when they bought it it wasnt running,it needed a new headgasket and the timing belt had snapped.theyve put the head back together with two new valves and put the head on but couldnt get it too start.
I've had a look and set the clearances for them and checked everything over.its getting a good spark on four cylinders,its getting fuel and air.
so does anyone know any common problems with these cars.we couldnt get hold of a compression tester to be sure but from turning the engine over by hand and on the start it feels like theirs enough compression.it ran today for about 2 seconds then died.
the firing order is 1342 but we can't get a manual and therefore cant be sure of the order the plugs go on the coil so if anyone knows this?
solara

Post by solara »

Is it the sagem coil pack? Likely to be a double-ended coil pack. ie each spark plug fires twice per revolution (ie 1&3 fire simultaneously, 2&4 fire simultaneously). Normally coil pack HT connectors are marked 1-3 4-2, check sides of coil pack for markings. Each pair of HT ouputs are close to each transformer (each bulging lump in coil pack), so there are theoretically only two possible spark plug combinations.
mark c
My Cars:

Post by mark c »

yes i'm sure it is the sagem.ok i understand what you mean about the wasted spark,we found out which two were sparking and plugged them into the two possible connections.
the coil pack is definetly not numbered in anyway,looking at a k reg witht the sam engine the coil pack is numbered bit funny.
have i made an error here though,when you say 2 and 4 fire together and 1 and 3,i was using the theory it was 1 and 4 firing together and 2 and 3 together?
solara

Post by solara »

If you want more details on testing the sagem coil pack unit.
Check out http://www.sparkviz.co.uk, and download the construction guide.
There is a testing section for the sagem coil pack using a DVM.
Just in case only half your coil pack is working.
Quite common for these coil packs to blow, and take the ECU MOSFETS with it, check out bba-reman website.
Not sure about 1&3/2&4, however Haynes manual should tell you (dont have it handy, will take a look tonight, unless someone else passes by with the info).
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

if your car has a carb it is very unlikely that it will have the sagem coil pack,at that age it should have a single coil mounted above the distributor and a set of HT leads,the sagem sealed coils(four coils fixed in a row)were fitted around 1997-on.
the most common fault on the 1.4 306 was the ignition module failing.(screwed to the side of distributor).
martyb2
My Cars:

Post by martyb2 »

it sounds a bit like the valve timing may be out by one or two teeth, check that.