306 heaters are not working

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blueagle78
My Cars:

306 heaters are not working

Post by blueagle78 »

Hi guys,
I think my journey to *REAL* french car has started (well I hope not)!
Since yesterday my car's heaters are gone a bit dodgy. Normally I drive only couple of miles and heaters start working but yesterday I drove for few miles before I could feel any hot air and even this morning I drove for 5 miles but I was still getting freezing cold air. The cold/hot air is completely turned towards hot (red)!
Any suggestions???
Thanks
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

Drove the car on the dual carriage away and took it up to 80mph and the heaters decided to work but when I slowed down and started to drive at around 30mph heaters stopped working!
Its a Turbo diesel if it helps!
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

I had a similar problem with mine. The culprit is the heater matrix clogging up with age. After talking to my local dealer, they adviced me to have the matrix reverse flushed for around £40.
This has cured it for the moment, but in time the matrix will need replacing and that requires the complete dashboard assembly to be removed.
to prevent this occuring again, use good quality antifreeze/summer coolant and renew every year regardless of mileage. I use a 80% antifreeze to 20% water.
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

I don't understand why the heater matrix decided to clog up after service. I got my car fully serviced almost 2 weeks ago, I bought all the parts from Europarts including the antifreeze! The same weekend I drove car for 500 miles and didn't had this problem!
The other interesting thing now is that it has started to pick up the temperature! So far its gone as high as 90 and I've got the feeling if I'll drive it anything over 20 miles continously it'll cross 100! heaters aren't working and temp has started to play up. I'll have to get the car checked over the weekend but any suggestions before hand would be really appreciated.
solara

Post by solara »

I replaced the heater matrix on my 306 (XTDT 1993) last year at 130kmiles. It finally sprung a leak after dying to a slow cold death. It is a dash job out, a weekends work. The autopsy showed rusty crud and silt sitting at the bottom of the matrix to be the culprit, which had finally corroded through. Cheap enought to replace at £35 quid, if you are prepared to put in the labour!
Here's a link to my pics:
uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/solarapics/album?.dir=/de47
At the same time I changed my thermostat and rad fan switch.
I would check your thermostat and rad fan switch are operational as basic checks. Starting from cold, my temp usually rises to 90C before the thermostat opens, and the temp drops sharply to 80 and then sits around 85C.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

If you've changed coolant recently you could have air in the system. Make sure it is bled properly to ensure no air locks
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Air lock is your problem take it back ASAP as damage to the head can be caused by an airlock in the head thus the high running temp, lack of colling. Regards Peter
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Yes this is almost certainly an airlock. Seems to be very common on this engine after it has had the antifreeze changed by someone not 100% sure what they're doing.