Is the on-line parts catlogue dead?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Is the on-line parts catlogue dead?

Post by Wookey »

I've been using the parts catalogue at http://www.elcats.ru/peugeot/
extensively recently. But it has been issuing null pages for the past couple of nights. Is it working for anyone else?
Looks like I might have to buy one of those CDs, and work out how to extract data from them on GNU/Linux.
burns

Post by burns »

I was just trying to use it too and it wasn't working:'(. I guess I'll have to hunt down a CD too.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, it seems to have gone down last week sometime. I wonder if Peugeot had anything to do with it, seeing as they make lots of money by charging people access to their own webpages for the same information....
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

Possibly, but Russian copyright law is totally different from ours and all sorts of good things are perfectly legal there. See http://www.allofmp3.com/ for example.
Maybe their server just ran out of bandwidth? It all in Russian I wasn't at all sure why it was up there - fine service that it was.
In a sensible world car manufacturers would make this info available themselves.
Still at the least the CDs of the same data are readily available for slightly less than a Haynes manual, which is a bit steep, but perfectly bearable.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

Has anyone here already got one of the parts and/or workshop CDs (covering the 806/Expert)q? Are you able to upload a copy somewhere? It'd be nice to just download the data rather than have to fork out a fiver for someone on ebay to copy it and send a physical CD.
I checked a couple of P2P networks and found 405 ans 205 haynes manuals but not the parts CDs.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

Well, i coughed up a fiver and now have one of the parts CDs (two CDs in fact to cover all vehicles). The app is a thin veneer of app over the top of an load of HTML so getting it to do something useful on Linux is not too tricky. The pics are all TIFFs instead of PNGs and the case of filenames is all over the place - the same dir appears as IMAGES and images randomly. Of course this doesn't matter on Windows, but it does on unix filesystems.
I'm in the process of writing some scriptage to convert the CD into a nice set of working HTML. If anyone else needs a copy I'll set up a bittorrent feed once it's ready so we can all have one without having to buy a broken CD from Ebay for a fiver.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

OK - I now have some scriptage to create a browseable image from the CDs. Seems to work nicely. If someone has a gig of webspace somewhere we can put it online for the benefit of all.