106 Loss of power

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lbos

Post by lbos »

Thanks for all the valuable information guys.
The swooshing was air in the system. It got there through a leak in the rad. The engine hasn't cooked itself, thanks to my vigilent g/f topping it with water when it needed it.
Its having new leads, plugs and filters this week.
Will let you know how it goes.
lbos

Post by lbos »

New plugs but no leads as yet, have improved things greatly. New leads later this week.
New rad and bleed has sorted the whooshing sound.
Idle speed is still odd tho- +/-200rpm either side of 900rpm.
There is also a loss of power when moving off. Bringing the clutch up past biting point and and over revving gets you past the point of stall, but it does leap forward in the process! Just wondering if this a fuelling problem?
Going to run some redex thru as well, in an attempt to clean the injectors.
Oh, and anyone know if its possible to get replacement parts for the sunroof cover? The runners have snapped where they are bolted to the roof and trim is flapping about.
Thanks again!
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

had this problem on my ZX, replaced all the things that you have but still the problem remains! i've had this problem for months and like you said the problem does change according to the weather. another guy with a zx fixed it by putting a 1.4 multipoint in (bit extreme).
sounds like a bit of a common problem with this engine, so dont worry too much
My Cars:

Post by 609 »

<b>Peter D wrote:</b>
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">you have not mentioned signs of emulsion in the camcover <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Out of interest, what does this signify?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lbos</i>

There is also a loss of power when moving off. Bringing the clutch up past biting point and and over revving gets you past the point of stall, but it does leap forward in the process!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Get them leads done. I spent far too many hours tracking down the same problem on an old Mazda I had. I still shudder when I think about the carburettor on that one, and the number of times I stripped it down. It *really* seemed carb related.
New leads cured it, even though the old ones seemed OK on the multimeter.
This could also give you the slightly uneven idle you're seeing.
lbos

Post by lbos »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 609</i>

<b>Peter D wrote:</b>
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">you have not mentioned signs of emulsion in the camcover <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Out of interest, what does this signify?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
*amateur alert* I think the oil emulisfies with the water and coolant in the cooling system, indicating a leaking head gasket. Although, I believe water can get in through the air intake as well, producing similar, yet less well pronounced symptoms. */amateur alert*
Went to see a 2001 2.0 golf gti for the missus recently. removed the oil filler cap and it was like cheese. we walked away.