405 dies when driving

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reades

405 dies when driving

Post by reades »

Hi,
Got 405 GLD 1991 H reg 1905 diesel.
1) The engine sometimes cuts out when I'm driving. If I dip the clutch and turn the starter it restarts as though nothing had happened. Any ideas?
2) Also electrical problem. The instrument panel lights keeo going out for no reason. There are new bulbs and I've fiddled with all the connectors. Any ideas? could this be relate to 1) above?
All suggestions gratefully received
Thanks
Rod
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Usually when diesels stop while driving I suspect air in the fuel but obviously it could be a number of other things.
I had the same problem with my panel bulbs and it took me a while to sus it out. It turned out to be the panel light rheostat. Twiddled it a bit and it was fine!
reades

Post by reades »

Thanks for the ideas. The fuel line does have a crack in it, so I will replace to be on the safe side.
Rheostat, know what you mean but my car doesn't have one. I spent hours with a torch under the steering wheel, I looked at the haynes wiring diagram and it shows it as optional.
Rod
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Would a dodgy fuel stop solinoid on the pump cause it to cut out? just a thought.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

What are the symptoms with the panel lights? Off all the time? Flickering? Sometimes on sometimes off?
reades

Post by reades »

Sorry for slow response been away on business.
Thanks for your interest.
Instruments lights are currently permanently off. Occasionally (like couple of times a week) they will come to life for a few minutes, and then go out again. This seems to be random, not related to bumps in the road, going round corners or whether the engine is cold or warmed up.
Problem doesn't seem to affect any of the other lights.
The sidelights and the heater control lights are on, when they are supposed to be. The cigar lighter light is always off, but I suspect the bulb in this case.
Thanks
Rod