strange rear tyre wear 306TD

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

farmboy

strange rear tyre wear 306TD

Post by farmboy »

Hello, when washing my car the other day i saw that my n/s rear tyre has worn strange. there is tread left on the outside but is almost a slick on the inside? almost as if the camber is wrong? could it be a bent trailing arm or worn bearings. Have not hit anythink and there is no strange noises or knock's...[?]
Any advice would be great. All the best Farmboy
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Looking from behind the car at a distance of around 10 - 15 feet, does the offending wheel appear to lean inwards to the top? If so the needle roller bearings in the suspension set up have failed due to old age.
You can replace the bearings, although it is easier to change the complete suspension unit. Do a search for SSP engineering who can supply and install complete units.
Kevin
farmboy

Post by farmboy »

Yes it does, Thanks mate. Do you know of anywhere else that does them? They are a long way from me(midlands)
farmboy

Post by farmboy »

Got it sorted now, had the whole lot changed. Happy as a pig in **** now[:)]
zaki406

Post by zaki406 »

it also happened to my 406.my local mech here suggested tyre alignment which costed mr RM60(GBP9/-).
Is that really the cause for 406?
cheers
BagStar
My Cars:

Post by BagStar »

I bought my 405 with this problem, knowing I would have to repair it, and went for the whole frame-section from a newer 405 from a scrapper. It was a bit of a pain, and if anybody chooses this route, make sure you have as little in the tank as possible, and get some blank-ends for the brake pipes.
The bearings in the arms are 50/50 and imo are worse than doing the frame option.
I think all late pug's have the torsion-bar suspension but they are starting to change towards independent multi-link with the 407.
zaki406

Post by zaki406 »

I think 406 is already using multi-link suspensions.Not torsion bar like the 405 and 306.
BagStar
My Cars:

Post by BagStar »

Sorry zaki406, my mistake.
The 406 has coil and so on.