405 Coolant loss

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skes
My Cars:

405 Coolant loss

Post by skes »

Every now and then i have to top up my radiator, some times it takes a lot, now i'm not convinced it's the head (although it does start a bit lumpty sometimes from cold) i'm wondering if it's maybe an airlock, one clue i got today was when the radiator cap was off and all pressure was released, i opened the bleed valve on the radiator top and a lot of pressure (and hot steam) came out.
Do they have to be filled in a certain way these motors? theres supposed to be a bleed screw on the hose over the top of the engine, i just seem to have a rusty piece of metal in there, would it be worthwhile getting a new hose?, would it make that much difference to any airlocks?
I've replaced the radiator cap, any idea's anyone?
Thanks skes.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Yes they have to be filled in a certain way i'm afraid. It involves the use of a header tank added to the expansion tank to bring the level of the coolant above the level of the highest hose.
If you opened the rad bleed screw and steam came out but no coolant then you definately have an airlock.Sort this before driving it any further as damage can result.
There are plenty of threads about this so have a look on the search page.
Haji

Post by Haji »

I had the exact same problem with the pressure build up, i used to bleed the system all the time but a few days later its full of pressure again, so got the thermo and the rad cap changed but still no luck, so took it round a few garages and they all told me its the head gasket :( my cars in the garage at the moment getting the head gasket done, timing belt with tensioners and a new water pump. all costing me between £450 - £500.
skes
My Cars:

Post by skes »

Thanks.