Peugeot 306 - rear screen washer...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Q4Legend
My Cars:

Peugeot 306 - rear screen washer...

Post by Q4Legend »

Hi,
I have a 1996 Peugeot 306XT and according to the user manual it has a rear screen washer facility. When I use the stalk control however, there is nothing coming out - even though I can hear a sound as though there should be.
My question is, will it have a seperate tank for the rear washer and where will it be? If it's supposed to come from the front resevoir (as I suspect) why is it not working when there is plenty of fluid left?
Many thanks
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

The rear washer jets are indeed fed from the main fluid reservoir. If you can hear the pump going, the washer jet might be blocked. I'm not sure if a 1996 306 has the washer jet built in to the wiper arm (like on my old 1994 one) or if it's on the roof (like on my 2000 one).
If it's built-in to the wiper arm you can remove the plastic cover from the inside of the boot to get to the wiper motor, which has a rubber hose plugged in to it. Disconnect the hose and get an assistant to operate the rear wash. If fluid comes out of the hose, you've got blocked washer jets. If not, there must be a blockage/split further down the line.
If the jet's in the roof, I don't know how you'd get to it other than removing the headlining. If anyone does know, let me know as I could do with replacing mine as it shoots somewhat wide of the mark and doesn't appear to be adjustable [:(]
Q4Legend
My Cars:

Post by Q4Legend »

Great stuff Batwad - you're right in that it does come from the arm. Hopefully the hole is just blocked!!
Thanks for the instructions and confirmation that there's only 1 resevoir. I'll investigate this weekend.
Happy 2005 :)
Q4Legend
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

on a related note... how can you get your jets to hit the right spot? out of 4 on the windscreen, only one hits the screen on mine, the rest go flying over the top! (good for annoying tailgaiters though! [8D] )
moomin

Post by moomin »

and how do u make the rear wiper go all the way to the top of the window, mine leaves a bit, quite anoying.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

on a related note... how can you get your jets to hit the right spot? out of 4 on the windscreen, only one hits the screen on mine, the rest go flying over the top! (good for annoying tailgaiters though! [8D] )
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Getting the washer jets aligned is black art I've never mastered [V] You can use a pin to adjust the angle of the jets, but so long as I've got about one-and-a-half cleaning the driver's side it doesn't bother me too much [8D]
I once tried to get them all perfectly aligned. I gave up after fifteen minutes of faffing around. I don't know why they don't just make them fixed and always pointing right; why does one need to adjust them, really?
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by moomin</i>

and how do u make the rear wiper go all the way to the top of the window, mine leaves a bit, quite anoying.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Is it about an inch at the top of the arc that doesn't get wiped? That's down to the curvature of the rear screen; it's slightly rounded and curves away from the wiper blade towards the top so the wiper blade, being pretty rigid, misses it. A design flaw on the part of Peugeot, methinks [V]
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Get a 405 instead, No washer jets to adjust on these.
Squirter tube is clipped to the wiper blade & hits the right spot every time, lol
Q4Legend
My Cars:

Post by Q4Legend »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by batwad</i>

The rear washer jets are indeed fed from the main fluid reservoir. If you can hear the pump going, the washer jet might be blocked. I'm not sure if a 1996 306 has the washer jet built in to the wiper arm (like on my old 1994 one) or if it's on the roof (like on my 2000 one).
If it's built-in to the wiper arm you can remove the plastic cover from the inside of the boot to get to the wiper motor, which has a rubber hose plugged in to it. Disconnect the hose and get an assistant to operate the rear wash. If fluid comes out of the hose, you've got blocked washer jets. If not, there must be a blockage/split further down the line.
If the jet's in the roof, I don't know how you'd get to it other than removing the headlining. If anyone does know, let me know as I could do with replacing mine as it shoots somewhat wide of the mark and doesn't appear to be adjustable [:(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi mate.
removed the casing at the weekend and tested the water supply to the jets. When I disconnect the pipe from the motor, water comes out no problem. However, when I attach the pipe back in place - nothing. This means the bloackage is somewhere on the motor! Damn!
How can I fix this? I have tried prodding the nozzle with a needle (on the arm itself) but nothing. It must be blocked inside of the machine. Nightmare!
Any tips?
Cheers
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Perseverance [8D] I'd take the motor assembly out of the car try puggling away at the nozzle with a bit of wire. Problem is, if I remember correctly, one end of the nozzle has a right-angle bend in it so anything you poke free probably won't go far. It could be that it's scaled up, so you might like to try some limescale remover. No guarantee that that's the problem, or that it will fix it.
Your alternative is to replace the motor assembly. I've done this on both my 306s (sigh) and is straightforward. I picked up the replacements from eBay for about a tenner each, scrappies wanted a bit more. Just make sure you get one which has the nozzle in the middle, as later model had the roof-mounted washer jet.
solara

Post by solara »

I have the same problem with a rear blocked jet (1993 XTDT).
I believe you can clear these by blowing with compressed air (from both inlet and outlet). Still have to try it on mines.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

If you're looking to replace the rear wiper motor, I just spotted this on eBay. Description isn't great, but the price is...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 14300&rd=1