306 HDi Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

techandy
My Cars:

306 HDi Clutch

Post by techandy »

Hi,
Can anyone advise me.. I've a 2001 Y HDi Peugeot 306,66k and the past two months the clutch pedal has decided that it won't automatically fully return to its normal position.
It doesn't appear to be engaged/disengaged when it's not fully up, but it's frutstrating.. I don't want to take the car to a Pug garage to be told that it needs a whole new clutch. It's not that the pedal can't return fully - it's almost like the spring has worn out that returns it the last CM or so...
I wouldn't say i've been hard on the clutch and reading the threads here there could be a couple of posts that indicate there is a problem with the Clutch on the 1.9DT engines, A friend of mine's got a 1.9DT thats done 110k and the Clutch is heavy on that - but doesn't have this fault..
Any advice would be gratefully recieved!!
Cheers - Andy
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

It could be clutch pedal itself that is jamming, the cable could be fraying inside the shroud casuing it or the clutch arm is catching. Failing that then it could be clutch assembly problems (mainly thrust bearing).
I'd start by checking the pedal area, might just need the pin that it rotates on greasing. Could also pull the clutch cable off at clutch end and spray wd40 down the outer shroud to try and lubricate inside.
christi

Post by christi »

can you engage reverse easily, or does it crunch / grind a lot?
techandy
My Cars:

Post by techandy »

There's no grinding or anything when changing gears, it's just the pedal doesn't return fully properly.. I've had my head upside down in the footwell and there doesn't appear to be any frayed cables or sticking bits, but I'd need to compare it against another HDi to work out what it should really be like..
Someone else has mentioned Thrust Bearing, what does that entail...?