another porblem with my beloved DTurbo

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Haji

another porblem with my beloved DTurbo

Post by Haji »

Hey Guys! read your messages, some great feedback but iv got abit of a wierd problem with my car
Firstly its a 1995 306 Dturbo, when i start my car the temp will be on 0 blowing cold air and about 30mins later the temp will shoot up straght to 105 still blowing cold air and then will drop to 85 and then will blow warm air, this will carry on for the duration the car is on.
I took it down to the garage got the damn thing bled and got the thermo changed, works fine for a day or two and then back to same ol **** again, the mechaninc goes if it happens one more time the had gasket is on its way out and its a costly job.
Guys any suggestions on what could be the problem.. and how to get it sorted
HAJI
beezer

Post by beezer »

I would have said sticky thermostat but you've changed that. Maybe the new one is duff?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

How often do you need to top up the header tank?
Haji

Post by Haji »

i have top it up atleast once a week, which i have to bleed first then i am able to top it up
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

head gasket or porous head, basically the head is filling full of air, this collects around the thermo so it doesnt open at roughly 80 degrees like normal as the air doesnt warm it the way the coolant does. Then the air does get hot enough to open it and the coolant gushes through at 105 degrees. I know as I had the exact same issues. Get the head sorted asap fbefore you do more serious damage. If you must run it for a few days take th thermo out and run without a thermo. This will at least let the coolant flow through and keep the temps down. Also allows gas to escape tso the coolant levl will remain a bit longer.
Haji

Post by Haji »

Thanks for the reply mate, i was dreading in might be the head gasket, oh well i guess i will have get it sorted..
Thanks for all your help. Very much appreciated.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Sounds like minor seepage from a combustion pot to the waterway you could have the head bolts undone and re-tightened to the spec, you will be surprised how loose they can become. However this may only be a short term fix or even break a bolt doing it up put I’ve sealed several heads this was as long as it is only a seep and the head, and or the gasket, has not been etched by the high pressure gases. Regards Peter
christi

Post by christi »

years ago i did something similar
i bought a set of new bolts and took the old ones out and put the new ones in
i replaced them one at a time so that the engine only ever had one missing, also i took the cap off so that there could be no pressure in the system
on that particular car (a 305 1.9D) it solved the problem
i think that after about 100,000 miles the bolts seem to stretch a bit