the different types of diesel fuel.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moomin

the different types of diesel fuel.

Post by moomin »

ok, does any one know what the difference is, if any, between the different types. do any of them improve performance, or economy? or is it just a big con, whats the best one to use, i normaly just get the cheap stuff from tesco, but they do one which contains biodiesel.
any thoughts??
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

5% biodiesel is increasingly common - it's been standard in france for a year or two. Biodiesel has very good lubricity so putting some in your normal fuel puts back some of the lubricity that is lost in low-sulphur diesel. Pure biodiesel is even better of course in this regard, but that's much harder to come by, especially in this country as it's more expensive than normal diesel if sold legally.
Honest Johns pages FAQ have a little bit to say about the different diesel fuels. Personally I can't believe it makes much difference unless you are running some super-highly-tuned lump. Given that they work quite well on veg oil (at least the older, simpler models) minor differences in diesel are neither here nor there.
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

5% BioDiesel is a good excuse for Tesco to charge 1p/litre more for Diesel
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

In the days of my lowly 50bhp 106D, I could tell the difference on which brand of diesel I used. Sainsburys City Diesel, as it was called when they sold two types, really increased economy, less smoke but retarded performance which was really noticable. The big brands Esso etc made it quite lively, and cruise all day flat out (hell I got done for speeding at 87mph - flat out!). Not bought derv for the last few years, but will return next month.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

There is a lot on this topic in the General Chat forum which is worth searching out on this.
Currently the quality of diesel fuel is rather variable due mainly to major suppliers buying on the 'spot market'. The grade specifications are wider than for petrol so you could find a marked difference across suppliers. My own engine is noticeably noiser at tickover on some fuels than others but not much difference in performance overall. Biodiesel is as stated earlier a better fuel in general because production quality is so much better monitored.
Smaller diesels 12 to 1800cc will be more affected by this than the bigger units.