vibration / noisey wheel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

vibration / noisey wheel

Post by b21playa »

hi all
i can hear this vibrating / rumbling noise when i drive about 35mph+, first about a month ago i though it was the fan but i have now realised its something to do with the wheels
i hear it when steering left or straight on montorways, a soon as i go round a right bend, the noise stops
this got me thing its the left wheel, but dont know what
anyone have ideas?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Wheel bearing, it can be either side so don't attach much importants to the direction the car is going when the noise stops, you need to rotate the wheels by hand and see if you can feel play or roughness.
Dave
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

cheers
will get a look at it
any particular way to test
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Grab the wheel at the top and bottom and feel for play in the vertical plane by trying to rock it vigourousely, there wont be much if any in the early stages but it will develop as the condition worsens.
To feel for any roughness in the bearing, make sure the brake pads are well away from the disc so the wheel turns smoothly, put the wheel back on and turn it back and forth a few degrees while applying pressure at the bottom and pulling at the top for the drivers side wheel, passenger side, push at top and pull at bottom, you may feel a slight knock as the damaged part of the race is pushed against the ball bearings.
Dave
burns

Post by burns »

I've got the same problem at the moment, except only when turning right/on motorways.Is it an easy job to change the bearing, the haynes makes it sound quite hard with talk of special tools?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by burns</i>

Is it an easy job to change the bearing,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You need a decent set of tools. A press would come in handy, but failing that, a biggish bench vice would be OK. Haynes gives the job four spanners on a scale of five, so judge for yourself. What you could do is get a new bearing, take off the hub carrier and take it to your local garage for fitting.