306 TD squeaky pulley when cold

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgoodlad

306 TD squeaky pulley when cold

Post by mgoodlad »

Car is 1996 306 1.9TD which has done 74,000 miles. For the last year or so there has been a squeaking noise which sounds like a pulley - it just appears when you start the car for a minute or so from cold and then the noise disappears.
When 72,000 miles came up I booked it into the local garage I use (independent - not Peugoet dealer) and asked them to change the timing belt, alternator belt and check out the squeaky pulley. I have owned the car for 3 years, since 40k miles.
Got the car back with the two belts changed and he had also replaced the adjuster pulley next to the alternator.
It has not really changed the problem - over the last few weeks it has been much colder with frosts - on such mornings the noise is much louder and almost alarming. Revving the engine makes the sound disappear and it is gone after 30 seconds or so.
Can it be the water pump? If so I have wasted my money on the timing belt etc as they will have to go through the timing belt replacement steps again to change it. But there are no cooling problems - coolant was recently changed and never been any hint of overheating.
I would have hoped the garage would have started the car up with the alternator belt off to see if the noise was gone to eliminate some of the pulleys - but don't know if that was done. I suppose I should take it off some night and start it up without in the morning - if no noise then it cannot be the water pump - but last time I had the belt off that car it was a pig to get back on.
Any suggestions much appreciated.
Regards and Seasons Greetings
Michael
'96 306 Spinnaker TD 74k miles
'96 106 1.5d Escapade 98k miles
solara

Post by solara »

temporarily removing fan belt, will only eliminate alternator/power steering pump causes.
Other possible causes are timing belt tensioner pulley or as you say water pump. Change both if you are going to get the belt off again.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

This noise is common on these engines, next cold start pull the multiplug from the glow relay after starting the engine, you will probably find the noise stops when the glowplug load on the alternator is removed.
Dave