SOLVEDStrange goings on with temperature306 SOLVED

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

metalhead10
My Cars:

SOLVEDStrange goings on with temperature306 SOLVED

Post by metalhead10 »

long description follows but have to tell it this way lol
Hi folks been a while but no probs until yesterday with
306 1.6 glx 1998
started driving along and noticed that headlamps where flickering for a bit and thought dodgy filament so carried on but then about 180 miles later on the outside lane overtaking on the m4 i noticed my temp guage shoot from norm to Bloody hot so thought arghhhh no and pulled onto shoulder and prepared myself for steamy goin ons and found nothing apparent water fine etc etc got back in car and noticed that where i had left the ignition on ( no engine running) and the hazards on that the temp guage was puslating with the flashers.Turned them off and it remained still at norm temp.So proceeded to carry on with journey and keep an eye on guage as i started the car guage settles at normal turn lights on guage goes up by 15 degrees ????? thought weird so turned wipers on again it raises ????? Turn on any electrical item and the guage rises with it turn all off it remains @ normal.but due to it been night time had to have lights on but also noticed that the fatser i went it went up again when i had to stop at junctions or that it would drop to above 90 but as soon as i moved above 40mph it would hug the red band but there is no overheating
So any suggestions greatly recieved and wishing you all a merry xmas
Cheers
Tim
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Possible problem with the altnator? or more than likley some form of voltage stabalizer on the dash / guage it self. As the car starts to labour the alternator puts out more power, the stabalizer does what is says on the tin. If caput the extra power from the alternator will send the guages a bit haywire.
metalhead10
My Cars:

Post by metalhead10 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

Possible problem with the altnator? or more than likley some form of voltage stabalizer on the dash / guage it self. As the car starts to labour the alternator puts out more power, the stabalizer does what is says on the tin. If caput the extra power from the alternator will send the guages a bit haywire.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
alternator was my first thought but not yet had chance to run the multi over it as with work i leave when its dark and get home when its dark so its not much fun trying out things in that sort of weather so thought i would come to the best place i have found for pug advice to see if any one else had come across this before.
As for the volt stabs will have to persue that one in the diagrams.
Cheers for the input StuartMcb
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Its either a faulty connection somewhere, Check the battery, starter & alternator ones.
Possibly a faulty alternator overcharging?
Also have a look at the spark plugs, Non Peugeot plugs can do funny things to the gauges! Theres several TSBs about checking for them.
metalhead10
My Cars:

Post by metalhead10 »

little update on this problem
to make matters even more weird got in car this morning to go to work and turned radio on to find the immortal words CODE IN flashing but battery had not drained or any connections removed ????
having checked all visible connections earth/positive batt leads tight alt leads tight etc also noticed that when reversing when i let the clutch out the lights brighten as if a jolt makes something happen and wondering if there is a seperate earth lead from the gearbox to chassis as well as the main earth to chassis lead ? and wondering if this is like the old mini problems of the earth lead breaking and it earthing through other areas such as throttle cables/ cluth cables ?
anyway back to the drawing board again i think will get time to test alteranator tomorrow hopefully and wonder whats not going to work on the car in the mornign is always fun lol
Cheers again all and any further suggestions greatly received
beezer

Post by beezer »

There should be a lead to the gearbox. Should be easy to trace from the battery/bodywork. Would have thought there might be starting problems if this was loose though.
metalhead10
My Cars:

Post by metalhead10 »

arghhhhhh this is slowly getting on my nerves even went into pug garage and spoke to their head honcho spanner and guess what he knows (-expletive removed-) all.things are just getting worse slowly and its gettingt ot hat point where i am thinking how long till i get in the car to find the airbag gone off etc and is it effecting abs or that.anyway now when i start up rev and speedo and fuel oil and temp guages all go to max and milometer and service and trip all go to 88888888 and then after a few secs it resets back to normal on all.
Also if i stop the engine with the lights on the temp guage tries to break through the max side and go all the way round but if i turn lights off then stop engine it is ok.
Just what i need for xmas
anyone got any ideas on where the volt stabilizer is if fitted to the instrument panels ?
please santa will you fix my car and wheres my bleeping bike you bleep.
metalhead10
My Cars:

Post by metalhead10 »

ok folks problem solved so thanks to all with suggestions it was finally all down to a broken earth lead that i had overlooked underneath the battery tray that connects between the gearbox and the chassis that on first look looked fine but further investigation showed it had frayed to one strand remaining so recrimped and tightened it and all is well with this so thanks folks have a great new year all
Tim