205 diesel earth probs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

205 diesel earth probs

Post by ralph »

I've got starting problems on my 205 diesel.
I replaced the battery to engine earth lead and the battery to body earth lead after it failed to start last week.
The battery is in fine health, but after a few days of reliable but slow starter motor cranking, it's given up again.
Are there any other electricals I should check??
(the starter is cranking, but too slowly to fire the engine)
beezer

Post by beezer »

I would be looking at the starter first. A good clean of solenoid contacts and check brushes/commutator. You can usually get a scrap for a reasonable price. A way to test is by shorting small terminal with big terminal with fat wire attached. Can cause slight damage to thread of big (copper) terminal through arcing so a safer way is to run a wire from small terminal to battery positive. If it still turns slowly it is most likely the starter or solenoid.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Thanks Beezer. I presume I'll be ok to link them up with a jump lead? And if it turns over better, do I then check the battery feed to the starter?
By the way, before I replaced the earth leads, I was jump starting the car by connecting the slave battery negative terminal direct to the 205's engine, so bypassing the dodgy earth. The starter turned fine with this treatment.
beezer

Post by beezer »

If connecting the slave battery neg to engine still works then it does seem like the starter is ok. Make sure your battery is pushing out the amps. It may give a reasonable voltage but still not have enough to turn starter. Link up with jump lead is fine. It will give you a better idea.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Your problem sounds more like charging trouble. Check the tightness of the drive belt. With the engine ticking over, check the reading across the battery terminals. The voltage should be in the region of 14.5.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Problem sorted - my battery was at fault.
I wrongly thought measuring the battery's voltage would tell me its condition, but it was low on amps, as Beezer suggested.
Despite only being 13 months old, it was unable to recover after starting the engine.
Unluky for me it (a Powerline battery) only had a 12 month warranty, but the supplier sold me a better 4-year-guarantee batt at cost price.
I assume running the car with a duff earth lead will have helped finish the battery off.