406 Hdi 90 potentiometer

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nicmcd
My Cars:

406 Hdi 90 potentiometer

Post by nicmcd »

Hi
Just had my car diagnosed as requiring a potentiometer. A) what is is? B) How easy is it to fix/fit? C) is this a main dealer part only or can it be purchased cheaper elsewhere?
Also the main dealer stated that a fault was also showing for the ecu. £600.00 to replace. Can I replace with a second hand unit and does it need to be reprogrammed by peugeot?
Hope someone can help.
Nick
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

A potentiometer is a standard electronic component, and I mean standard as in it's used in everything - cars, radios, TVs and pretty much any other electronic gadget you can shake a stick at. Essentially it's a variable resistor.
I'd seriously question a garage that told me my car needed "a potentiometer" as it's such a generic term that smacks of cowboy practices.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

otherwise known as a throttle position sensor,it can be found at the end of the throttle cable,it basicly tells the ECU how much the trottle is pressed so it can adjust the fueling.i dont know the exact setup on a 406 but it will likely be just 2 10mm bolts then unplug it.
if the car is multiplexed then the ECU will be matched to the BSI unit for imobiliser reasons,im pretty sure peugeot cant recode it but maybe someone with the right software can.