405 Alarm

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

amjake

405 Alarm

Post by amjake »

Hi All
Forgive me if there are details on this already!
I have a 1996 405TD Est, and have a problem with the alarm, it keeps going off! (factory fitted with keycode in armrest)
I have deactivated the siren, but Peugeot checked it over for a handsome price and said it was the airfreshner hanging from the mirror, I said B****x dont they think I would have tried without that hanging there!
I have tested and so have Peugeot!, all the doors bonnent tailgate etc. but have all but given up when I found this site.
Any suggestions?
amjake
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
The wonderfull 405 alarm system, lol
Anyway the first thing I would try would be to unplug the bonnet switch, These always go faulty after a while, hate getting water in them & sometimes drop off.
Next to the passenger side headlight, tucked away is a small black plug with 2 wires going into it, unplug this & try the alarm again for a few days & report back.
If that doesnt help then ill dig the connector pin numbers out so you can test the door switches because the alarm DOESNT work of the light switches.
I had loads of fun with my 405 alarm, even more so when it started blowing all the fuses & Peugeot couldnt fix it! lol
amjake

Post by amjake »

Thank you PowerLee
Will let you know
Cheers
Jake
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi PowerLee,
What a week, the alarm non stop for 2 days and also with cold snap totally dead battery twice once in morning then during day in ice cold multistorey!
So have new battery on and since disconnecting the bonnet sensor the alarm hasn't gone off (altho' the alarm going off has been a long running daily problem!). The alarm going off as the battery dying I assume is to do with voltage drop sensor?
From what friend said about his Renault, I wont replace the bonnet sensor, the siren will remain switched off and hopefully the headlamps wont be flashing anymore because who pays any attention when an alarm is going off?!
Any ideas on how to bypass the keypad in the arm rest, which they did on the 406's I've had?
Cheers
Jake
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Leave the keypad alone! Its Thatcham Cat 2 & stops your car going walkies!
Your insurance company wouldnt be happy about it being bypassed either.
You can just unplug it with the engine RUNNING & it should never ask for the code again, But BE WARNED sometimes after a flat battery the imobiliser can lock up & have a sulk & give you a headache trying to fix it, I would leave it as it is.
Yes the alarm senses the battery being disconnected / low voltage & will go off.
A new bonnet sensor is only £18 from Peugeot & easy to fit yourself, Or get one down the scarpyard of another Peugeot / Citroen.
The keyswitch only turns the siren off, It wont stop the alarm arming when you lock or the headlamps flashing when it goes off.
To totally kill the alarm, Go under the drivers seat & unplug the 2 x connector plugs 1 x Brown & 1 x Grey.
There is a black plastic cover held by 2 x 10mm nuts, Undo these & unplug the alarm box.
You may notice there are some other plugs under the seat.
DONT touch the Orange one, thats for the pyrotechnic seat belt pre tensioners.
The Yellow one is for the electric seats in the STI / STDT
The Brown one is for the heated seats in the MI16 / Le Mans / Executive.
The Red plug under the black cover is the alarm diagnostic plug & the Brown relay is the alarm headlamp power relay.
You will still have the remote locking even with the alarm diconnected.
amjake

Post by amjake »

Thank you for all the help PowerLee,
Had a freezing weekend up in the Pennines and not once did the alarm go off so it appears to have been the bonnet switch. As for all the other connexions I'll leave alone as there seems to be no other probs
Thanks ever so much for the hep.
Jake
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Yeah, the bonnet switch does cause problems after a while, Im on my 3rd one in 5 years, lol
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi All
Well the good news is it's not the bonnet switch, thats disconnected and the bad news alarm has gone off over the past 2 nights.
Any further ideas/help appreciated, I have a feeling it might be the drivers door, are the light switches the sensors?
Cheers
Jake
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
The alarm DOESNT use the light switches to sense the door opening.
There is a switch built into the latch that senses the door ajar / open & triggers the door ajar warning / alarm.
All the switch does is short to earth when the doors ajar / opened & the alarm control box senses this.
Ill dig the connector pin numbers out in a minute & post them for you.
Have you tried arming the alarm with the ultra sonics disabled?
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
First I would check the battery terminals are clean & tight ( Not much chance of that if there original Peugeot ones )
ok now, Under the drivers seat is a black plastic cover held to the body with 2 x 10mm nuts, Undo these to get at the alarm control box, Brown alarm headlamp flashing relay & the red alarm diagnositc socket.
Turn the siren off ( Battery back up ) & unplug the 2 plugs from the box, 1 x Brown & the other is Grey.
On the Brown plug terminal 5 B is the drivers door switch, 6 A is the O/S/R door & 5 A is the front passenger door.
On the Grey plug terminal 6 B is the N/S/R door.
Using a multimeter what you should get is a circuit to earth when the door latch is either ajar or open.
The switches are around £3 each from Peugeot, But you have to take the door trim off to fit them.
The battery connections themselves are awful, The positive one stretches & becomes lose & the earth one isnt much better, Ive cut both these off & bought some propper clamp terminals for my car.
Another thing to remember about Peugeot electrics are the 3 rubbish main large electrical connectors behind the passenger side head lamp, these give all sorts of odd electrical problems, Also the earth points give trouble & like being clean.
amjake

Post by amjake »

Thanks for all the help PowerLee
I think I have found a simple solution after having the lights flashing on+off all night, the damp being the culprit.
<b>Interior fuse box, pull fuse 14 (30amp), alarm disconnected, problem solved!</b> [;)]
I know the car is now not alarmed, but it solves the problem simply, no door panels etc. to take off.
This may help other viewers.
Cheers
Jake
billc

Post by billc »

iv'e had the same problem about 2 weeks ago.the alarm went off during the night.so next day i checked the passenger side courtesy light switch which i had replaced about 2 weeks before the alarm trouble.i found it to be soaking wet with water which must be leaking in from the windscreen, the old switch was corroded.i have disconnected the switch.and now i don't have the alarm going off.it must be that the water was shorting the courtesy light switch.because when the alarm went off the courtesy light was on.i only had this problem when it rains.