head gasket

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lennox
My Cars:

head gasket

Post by Lennox »

hi all
i am looking at replacing my head gasket on my 205 xs as it has started to leak (traces of oil in header tank and down the front of the engine) is this a hard job and is there any thing i should be aware of while doing the job i.e. little suprises that can cost more money?
any help would be appreciated [:)]
beezer

Post by beezer »

First you have to ask yourself how come the gasket has blown. You might have to have the head skimmed. You will need a good torque wrench and buy new head bolts. 205 petrol engines are a little easier than diesel to dismantle the top end. Make sure you have a guide for tightening sequence or failing that work in a spiral from the centre. You might think about new hoses while you are at it.
Lennox
My Cars:

Post by Lennox »

the car has done 90000 miles and its the end near the cam belt that is leaking i have read on this forum that this is a regular thing on pug's something to do with the oil pressure that end of the engine. i can get the haynes manual off a mate tomorrow just wanted to get advanced warning of what the job involves. you say new hoses which ones? cant afford to spend too much money at the moment especially with christmas fast approaching.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Just check the hoses that you have to remove. I would replace them whilst the sytem is drained but if they look ok then maybe just replace the clips (I always use stainless if available). Rotary wire brush and a decoke might be in order.
Lennox
My Cars:

Post by Lennox »

thanks for the advice beezer. i take it i should flush the radiator both ways as well as the rest of the system?