Power steering pump

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goatboy

Power steering pump

Post by goatboy »

i heard that Peugeot power steering pumps are the same on lots of different models.
I think my 205 diesel power steering pump is on its way out.
Does anybody know if it is the same as the ones off other 205/309/405?
If so hopefully I can get one from a scrap yard as I don't have £100 to spare for a new one....
Thanks!
beezer

Post by beezer »

Is your pump driven by a belt from the camshaft at the flywheel side of engine? This is a diesel thing because the injector pump is taking the place of where it tends to be on petrol models. You should still get a scrap one easily enough. I wouldn't pay more than 45 quid for one (and would expect to pay less!).
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

errr... yes it has its own belt and is on the right hand side of the engine as you look at it with your head under the bonnet. [;)]
Does this mean a pump from any diesel pug will work?
I guess 309 and 205 will be the same as they use the same engine but what about 405 or even a BX? You tend to see more diesel ones of these...
Thanks for the reply by the way![:D]
beezer

Post by beezer »

405 apparently not - at least not the ones from the last century! The early ones before 92 might be adaptable but then they stuck it under the alternator with a tensioner and a big belt. Looks like safest bet is 205 or 309 from a scrap. Ask the Citroen department on this forum for info on BX!
Try online www.carparts-uk.com - they are quick and you get lots of quotes.
martyb2
My Cars:

Post by martyb2 »

the citroen bx wont work as it runs off an lhm system that also controls the brakes and the suspension
beezer

Post by beezer »

Why don't they have hydraulic doors as well and be done with it - bloody Citroens! (joke)
martyb2
My Cars:

Post by martyb2 »

better still. just ban the french as well, lol
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

of course, forgot about the daft hydraulics.
Thanks guys. Looks like I am off to trawl round the scrap yards :)
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Out of curiosity, what's the problem with the steering?
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

It is very lumpy and rather shakey at low speed and seems to be getting heavier.
So I thought it proably is the pump. If I could get one for cheap enough I may as well replace it....
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Before condemming the pump, have you checked the UJ at the bottom of the steering collumn. This is known to sieze up.
Mine almost siezed solid, after liberal quantities of copper grease everything is ok so far.
Kevin
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

I gave it a good squirt of WD40 and regreased the RAM too and it didn't seem to make much difference. The other thing is the PS fluid is a mucky browny red colour and not a nice bright red. I have heard this is a sign of Pump failure too, or am I wrong ( I would like to be wrong as it would be cheaper!!)
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Try changing the fluid first, it should be a nice red colour
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

cool, will do.
How do you drain the system though?
I hear it will bleed itself by turning the steering a few times and it should force bubbles out of the resevoir but I am not sure...
Any tips?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Undoing the pipe unions at the rack end is probably the best way. Someone might have a better idea.