Similar elec prob (306 XRdt)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Vinny da Loo

Similar elec prob (306 XRdt)

Post by Vinny da Loo »

Hi all, just joined,
I have a similar fault as "Bad driver". A week ago the battery went flat while I was at work, I hadn't had any indication there was a problem. Anyway I got started & went home. Next day was Saturday, I put battery on charge, it took longer than I expected but it got done. Didn't need car till tues morn so didn't put battery on till then. I noticed most of the dash indicators were alredy on ie no key in ignition. Got car started went to work. Switched off ignition and whilr collecting my stuff before exiting all dash lights came back on (except alt indicator), both immobiliser lights on. Concluded this is why battery went flat, so disconnected it while at work. Got car back home & used Motorbike rest of the week. Today I had to move the car, connected battery started car, moved car, switched off ignition, car carries on running.... the key is in my hand. Had to stall car to stop it. Do I get a prize for this one?
Any ideas????
beezer

Post by beezer »

Most likely answer is duff ignition switch. Other than that you will have to carefully check for chafed wiring. Tedious job. Could even be a sticky relay. Had that problem with a van once.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Hi mate, I solved mine with a few things. Firstly I found a puddle under the rear seat where water has got into a perished door seal. Dried that out as there was a connecter sat in it. This solved the lights on the dash problem. Secondly I found the main body / ground strap in the engine bay to be slightly problematic.
I suggest you lift the rear seat and check for any water. If there is none then clean the ground points up in the engine bay. Should be one on gearbox and 2 on the inner passenger side wing just in front of battery area. I replaced the incredibly rusty 10mm bolts in them 2 and wire brushed the wire terminals and area they contact with. 1/2 hours work tops and hopefully that will solve it.