307 HDi non start after fuel filter change

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Citroen Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (waiting repair, burst hydraulic pipe sent it through a hedge!)
1995 Peugeot 106 Roland Garros (converted from petrol to 1.4 diesel)
1963 Triumph based Spartan Roadster kit car 2.5 litre.
2002 Peugeot 307 Rapier 2.0 HDi (In daily use)
2006 Peugeot 307cc Hdi Sport (Getting it ready for the summer)

Re: 307 HDi non start after fuel filter change

Post by clydeowenp »

Didn't actually drain the filter, just took the top off to confirm the type of filter fitted, replaced it and tried to bleed and start. Changed the filter when the new one arrived and filled the filter before trying to start.
Changed the filter several times on my Xantia HDi exclusive and never any trouble but that has a lift pump in the tank which I'm sure helps.
Guy at Easy Diagnostics said dealers use a stabilised power supply set at 14.1v to trick it into thinking the engine is running. Thought I'd try and simulate this by connecting another car with jump leads as you would to jump start. I thought by starting the engine it would trick the car out of economy mode by making it think the engine was running and the battery charging. If economy mode does not affect the engine ECU then I'm wasting my time. Looks like my only option is to tow it to the main dealer and get them to run a diagnostic check.
I spoke to the main dealer today and asked if they could give me the transponder code if I produce the new keeper slip and receipt for when I taxed it. They insist that they will only supply transponder codes on sight of a V5c in my name and photo id. Phoned DVLA again and got to speak to the person who had the communal brain cell for the day. They couldn't find any record of receiving a V5c from the seller or sending out a new one. They suggested I send a V62 and the new keeper slip to them and they'll issue a new log book free of charge, I did this immediately. Not sure when I'll get it, wheels of DVLA turn VERY slowly. I assume main dealer can recode keys if necessary without seeing the V5c, looks like this may be my only option. Just brought a cheap laptop so will be ordering PP2000 / Lexia in the next few days, may not get in time to sort this out but will be useful in the future.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The dealer can recode the keys - but will still need the confidential customer code - so in order to get that, they still need proof of ownership and ID.

As for the Economy mode - my battery inadvertently went as flat as a witch's t*t and still started in Economy mode. Your issue may be that the engine ECU is locked for some reason or the keys have become unpaired. Putting a new or fully charged battery onto the vehicle and performing the key synchronisation would normally be enough to start it. But in your case where you have changed the fuel filter - the 2 symptoms are similar 1) the starter is turning but there is no fuel getting through or 2) there is fuel getting through, the starter is spinning, but the ECU will not authorise the engine start.

If you had your diagnostic and it connected up ok, then you could tell if the engine ECU was locked or not - and you could start some troubleshooting.

Keep us posted anyway.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Citroen Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (waiting repair, burst hydraulic pipe sent it through a hedge!)

Post by clydeowenp »

Forgot to say, I checked the battery voltage after recharging and leaving overnight before refitting, voltage was 12.8v.
Brought a cheap used laptop on ebay, this should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the discount email, ordered PP2000 / Lexia which should be posted out tomorrow. Applied for V5c from DVLA but no idea when it will arrive and can't get transponder code without it. I'm running out of options now as MOT expires on 3rd September and I've no room to get it off the road. If not solved by 28th -29th I'll be forced to cancel the tax and strip it for spares, fine for it being on the road without tax would be more than I paid for it! Booked it into Peugeot dealer for diagnostic on 21st, can always cancel if solved before then. If laptop and diagbox arrive before then and I can get it up and running I'll let you know and maybe I can read the codes. Peugeot dealer said they'll recode the keys if necessary without seeing the V5c, they just won't tell me the code without it which is fair enough.
Will let you know when diagbox set up, or maybe ask for help setting it up, and hopefully you can help with diagnostic advice and I can at least get some fault codes.
When I get time I'll add my name to the equipment list, in the spirit of the forum and to help other owners, seems there's nobody near me on the list so may find myself busy! I already have 3.5 & 4.5mm Citroen flaring tool and if anybody has the 6 or 6.5 mm dies (not sure of the size without looking it up) and want to sell them I'm willing to buy and make them available. By then I'll have the diagbox and I'm in the process of making a sphear testing rig, got all the bits just need to find time to assemble it. I'm also working on a design for a sphear re-gassing rig, there's a company near me that can supply and fill a suitable bottle or a new valve for a pub gas bottle. Can't be filled to same pressure as a big bottle but a fraction of the cost and suitable for occasional use, I'll keep you posted.
clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)

Post by clydeowenp »

Towed car to main dealer yesterday and they looked at it today. I asked for a copy of the diagnostic report, not much on it, just says "permanent fault. Absence of communication with the engine management ECU." They traced the fault to an internal fault in the engine compartment fuse box. When they phoned they assured me that if this was replaced the engine would start. They told me it's a common fault which they've seen several times before. They charged me £60 for the diagnostic and £125 for the new fuse box which they had in stock (new old stock, so did it for rock bottom price), retail should have been £285 so quite a saving. I phoned two other main dealers who confirmed the price but didn't have it in stock. There's a 12 month warranty on the part and repair so I decided not to mess about with a used one that may or may not work and if it did for how long for, that's if I could find one!
I told them I had removed all the fuses and connections and sprayed them with contact cleaner but they said they doubt this caused the problem, they couldn't say what did cause the fault but believe it was just an unfortunate coincidence. Hopefully this information will be helpful in the future if somebody else has a similar problem. Many thanks for everybody who took the time and trouble to post replies and offer advice.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great - that would of been my next suggestion - wither that or the BSI - but great that you now have it sorted. Thanks for the update - always useful for others. At least you have a diagnostic kit you can use for future (hopefully not too often)!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc