Help, 307 1.4 hdi running loud and lack of power

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rickybattams1
My Cars: Peugeot 307, 1.4hdi

Help, 307 1.4 hdi running loud and lack of power

Post by Rickybattams1 »

Bought a little 307 1.4 hdi the other week for cheap running costs but it's not sounding great, when driving car the engine is really loud like you can hear it through the bulkhead as if there's a hole behind the dashboard, it runs smoothly and drives fine other than it juddering when setting off in first gear, another issue if anyone has any ideas? I was thinking it could of been injector seals but now I'm led to belive it could be the Crank pulley? It also feels as though its holding back on power? turbo is functioning correctly but does have a small amount of oil in it, not getting any smoke ect just wondered if anyone could shed some light from the video provided, you can see the tensioner has some movement but I wasn't sure if that was possibly the tensioner itself or if it normal to have some movement? Any help would be much appreciated many thanks ricky
Last edited by myglaren on 28 Apr 2017, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: Help, 307 1.4 hdi running loud and lack of power

Post by ekjdm14 »

I think with the crank pulley the best way to see if it's failed/failing is to have a good look at it end-on and see if the outer part is separating from the inner at all, you'll likely see a mark between the two where they've been rattling together.

FWIW our 206 with the same engine had a new pulley fitted at just under 90k when it came to us so they don't seem to last terribly well. I would imagine the little 1.4 will feel down on power in a 307 as it's not exactly a ball of fire in the 206 either, largely the same power output as the old 1.9 non-turbo diesels. Having said that, if it feels especially sluggish but there's no codes it could be a dirty/failing MAF.

Fortunately the 1.4 isn't known to be as hard on turbos as the 1.6 so hopefully that won't be an issue. Juddering when taking up drive can be oil on the clutch or a duff engine mount, given the harshness you're hearing through the car maybe worth checking the mounts are all tight & not disintegrating.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
Rickybattams1
My Cars: Peugeot 307, 1.4hdi

Re: Help, 307 1.4 hdi running loud and lack of power

Post by Rickybattams1 »

It's just a pain as was hoping to travel down south this weekend but I dont fancy anything going wrong as I don't have breakdown cover, its on acceleration when its really noisey at stand still idle its a bit noisey and if I take acceleration off while driving its quiet? Thanks for the reply by the way