ZX AURA TD Electrics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

ZX AURA TD Electrics

Post by Twiss »

Hi u Lot.
i am going to change the bumpers on my Aura to Volcane bumpers, but i need to know does the aura already have the wireing to take the fog lamps that are in the volcane front bumper? e.g plugs and all connections? i have got the dash switch from a scrap yard to turn them on. if not can i fit the wiring in myself or is it a citroen job? any help would be great full.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Should allready be there, have a look up inside the bumper its probably secured with a plastic tie somewhere.
Dave
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Wiring is there on the Aura, my dad used to have a Aura Estate and all that was needed was the bumper, lights and switch, everything else is there and ready to go.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

ok thanks. i'll order the front volcane bumper and when it comes through i'll paint it and fit it , find the wiring while the bumper is off.
I've got the lights and switch so cool I'll order it from GSF this weekend hopefully.
Thanks u lot
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

major update!!!
Fitted volcane bumper on the car, went to connect fog lights and found NO wiring. turns out so Zx was only fitted with half the wiring and guess what Citroen no longer sell the loom kit for the fog lights. oh great I thought.
I went into halfords and found they do a DIY wiring kit for fog lamps. so my question is are these sort of things safe to use? The kit is made by RING
thanks Twiss
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Easy enough to do yourself! use a relay - which as I'm sure you know is an electrically operated switch. Run a small wire fron the dipped headlight wire on the light switch loom to the dashboard switch and then to the relay trigger side (terminal 85). The other side (terminal 86) should be earthed.
The power can be taken from the battery, using a round terminal under the terminal clamp bolt. Fit some form of line fuse close to the battery for safety and run the wire to your relay - terminal 30. Run another wire from terrminal 87 to the nearest light - positive side, fit a second wire to this terminal and run this to the positive of the other lamp. Similarily wire the neagtives to earth.
The power wiring should be reasonably thick as its carrying about 10 amps in places (to first lamp. The earth should be similar for the lights. The relay wire can be small as its only carrying about 100 milliamps max.
This should give you foglamps that operate with dipped headlights only. You could pick the realy feed up from the headlights but you will then have foglamps which operate on dim dip which I don't think is legal.
Use proper connectors, crimp them with the proper tool (not necessarily expensive) not pliers and make sure they are on tight and ideally solder them as well. Use sleeving, cable ties, clips etc to keep it all tidy and well supported and make sure that none of the wiring is likely to chafe and you will have a good job that will work.
jeremy
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Are you positive the wiring isnt there? It may have been cut off further away from the bumper, or be tied up. On ALL zx's ive seen, thats 2 reflexes, an avantage estate, and an aura, besides the many ive visited in scrap yards, have had the wiring there (I found this due to fitting one of these kits myself, and then when it wouldnt work, was told the wiring would already be there, then felt rather stupid). Check again, its a blue and purple 2 pin connector as far as i can remember on 2 green wires. May have been cut off further up the loom.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

My old advantage never had the loom for the foggies, but fathers one did, both the same age one was a 1.4 the other 1.9D