Xantia radiator fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Xantia radiator fans

Post by bernie »

Switch heater fan to auto
Slide air director to windscreen
and the front radiator fans come on.
Is that normal?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Yes perfectly normal. Actually I don't think its supposed to do that. Is this one of those much loved Bitron problems?
Whenever my fans come on when they're not supposed to be on, I give the brown plug on top of my thermostat housing a poke and that usually fixes it. You've got the HDI engine, so it is probably completely different from my 1.9 TD.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You'll probably find that putting the air on the screen only , and fan in auto puts it in de-mist mode, which also probably switches the air-con on, which in turn starts the fans to keep the condenser cool.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I don't think it turns the air con on unless you press the button manually, at least on mine I've never noticed it do it.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If you've got climate control, which Exclusives have, then putting the blower onto the windscreen will switch in the aircon, the dry air then more quickly demists the screen. Obviously if the aircon is on then the rad fans will switch in.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks a lot chaps.
I had a problem that did not exist!
Brilliant
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

I'll second that lot.
Noticed it a few nights back on my 1.8 16v Xant. Sitting at lights w/ everything on, flip the slider to demist, engine loads up, everything goes a bit dim and then the fast idle kicks in. Also expalins why the car behaves like a bit of a dog on cold wet mornings.
From playing around conclusion is that at full (auto) demist the AC always kicks in. There is no indication on anything else in the car that the AC compressor is engaged. The fan control has no effect (apart from off) as to the compressor engaged or not.
If anyone has any other information as to how the ECU is programmed it would be most welcome (ie does this do the same regardless of internal and external temperatures). It's also a bit odd with the Cit paunchant for interconnecting everything that the little light on the switch dosn't come on.
Oh well - such is.
Tom.