crankshaft pulley

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

crankshaft pulley

Post by drpau »

Just about to embark on replacing my crankshaft pulley and have a question, in haynes, after turning to the specified torque when tightening back up, it says you then have to tighten it a further X degrees using an angle meter. is this second step necessary as I dont have one. Also , in terms of threadlock, what is the best one to use?
Cheers
Paul
beezer

Post by beezer »

You should get by with a standard torque wrench. Bear in mind it should be pretty tight. Angle guages are not wildly expensive though. Loctite is as good as any.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Loctite do a load of different grades of threadlock, they have quite a range for industry and are as good as anybody really.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

cheers for the response, there are loads of different loctite threadlocks though, 243, 577 blah blah. Im guessing it would need to be one of the stronger ones...
beezer

Post by beezer »

270 is fine
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpau</i>

Just about to embark on replacing my crankshaft pulley and have a question, in haynes, after turning to the specified torque when tightening back up, it says you then have to tighten it a further X degrees using an angle meter. is this second step necessary as I dont have one.
Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
According to the manual it's 51 or 55 degrees.
If you think of it like a clock, you start at 12.00 o'clock and tighten till around 12.08 to 12.09.
Does that help?
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>
According to the manual it's 51 or 55 degrees.
If you think of it like a clock, you start at 12.00 o'clock and tighten till around 12.08 to 12.09.
Does that help?
[/quote]
Thats a good point actually. Ill employ the 'oclock' method, sod the degrees method![:D]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's more or less 60°, which is one flat on the bolt. Put a dot on the pulley next to one corner of the bolt, and a corresponding dot on the bolt, and turn it till you have gone far enough. By which time it will be b***y tight - do not miss this step out, or you risk the pulley coming off and wrecking your engine. It's actually recommended to replace the bolt - it's pretty cheap, and comes ready loaded with thread lock.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I'd go for replacing the bolt. These have been known to snap within the crankshaft when loosening has been attempted so I think that replacement with an unstretched one would be a wise precaution.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

I'd go for replacing the bolt. These have been known to snap within the crankshaft when loosening has been attempted so I think that replacement with an unstretched one would be a wise precaution.
Ahh, its a good job work has stalled to a halt then [;)]- my spanner is too short to get any leverage on the tensioner-tried improvising with various parts but they kept getting interfered with by bodywork and the powersteering pulley. Need to get a longer one. Im amazed at how little room there is compared to my last motor. I will get a new bolt from citroen tomorrow and then restart the job on sunday I think.
Cheers for all the tips,
Paul
beezer

Post by beezer »

A friend had a timing belt fitted to her 405 by a main dealer (no names but in West Lothian area!). They didn't tighten the crankshaft bolt enough and it worked loose. End result - new engine and much egg on face by main dealer.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

I found that my 405 pulley bolt was loose before it did too much damage to the keyway. I have heard of several instances of this problem. It pays to listen carefully to your engine from time to time!
Folks in our neighbourhood say "oh, your bonnet's up again - more problems?" I'm tempted to reply "no, it's because the bonnet goes up regularly that I have fewer problems".
21st century cars as "white goods". Discsss. 20 marks.
rg
beezer

Post by beezer »

Yes if you catch it in time it can be ok. The fact that there is a woodruff key is a life saver. I had a slack bolt on my 205. Caused erratic smoke emission (mentioned elsewhere) because the timing belt sprocket on the crank had just a wee bit of play in it. It is when the thing gets worn/loose enough to lose the purchase of the woodruff key that you can get big problems. Pays to keep it tight!
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

drpau,
What symptoms told you that the pully / bolt was loose? I ask as my engine has a rumbling noise when cold which sounds like it could be in the region of the bottom pully. It seems to disappear when the engine has warmed up though.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Its a light tapping most noticable at 2-3000rpm, it was diagnosed by a peugeot mech, I have a few pics of it here, http://www.boby.freeservers.com/photo.html, the rust that can be seen is thought to be the start of it breaking up. Even if it isnt I'd feel better if I changed it anyway - peace of mind when travelling at 80mph. Pulley bolt was £2.09 by the way.