Noisy Xantia exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pat
My Cars:

Noisy Xantia exhaust

Post by Pat »

Bought a new middle and backbox for my 97 activa turbo about 2 months ago , but its very noisy, it drones and is even noisy on tickover .Past about 3000 revs its not too
bad. It is non original Nat T**e! Has any one experienced this and are genuine citroen exhuasts worth it?
The guy at Nat t**e who sold me it says its cause the engine's out of tune. Is this right,? I now its not spot on, but does an out of tune engine make the exhaust noisier?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

naahhh ...
That was an easy Nat T**e answer - honestly [B)]
I wonder how he would "tune in" the engine anyway [?][:D]
- cause it would not help with new plugs, air/oil filter etc - the usual tune up service items - and the valve clearance & ignition timing is always correct [;)]
He might try an offset on the cambelt [}:)]
Do a quick check under the car if any parts are not tight - or touching chassis body members.
I've using quick fitters for y's - mainly because the labour cost is only approx £25 even here in DK. That leaves me with the easy option of <font color="red"><i>always</i></font id="red"> doing my own fine correction of the assembly work - to get rid of chassis booms etc.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I know that not everyone will agree with this line of argument but I do have some background on exhausts to support my thinking.
Original equipment is designed to provide best sound reduction without severly affecting performance. This costs money and takes good design. To make pattern parts cheap enough to attract people to buy them something has to give, usually quality of component and sound attenuating design. This will affect the thickness and grade of the steel in all parts, the security of fixings and the quality of the packing. The result is usually a noisier system with poor overall sound attenuation at all speeds. Carbon build up on the inner surfaces will improve the situation in time.
Personally, I always buy the original equipment where I can plan for this. Diesels do not get through exhausts as quick as petrols so I think it pays to buy the best. Personal opinion only. Sorry Pat but I think you may the victim of a sub standard system.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Has anyone had the rear (& only) box on thier Xantia fall off! thing sounds like a plane on take off!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The joint at the front of the rear box on my present 2.1 Xantia broke after only three years and less than 40000 miles. The box on my previous BXTZD achieved twice that life before replacement. The pattern box which I fitted to the Xantia has taken the mileage to 90000. So much for OE.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'm surprised at this problem as your car is a turbo and the turbo itself is a very effective silencing component, slowing and evening out the expansion of the gasses and mashing up the pulses.
Its difficult to tell without looking at the car but leaks are generally quite distinctive to listen to and you mention droning. Droning sounds as though the pipe is touching somewhere. Are all the mounts in place? (My BX has a habit of one or more of the mounting rubbers slipping). I don't think even a cheap exhaust would be noticeably noisy on tickover on a turbo car as after all they aren't that noisy on tickover without an exhaust at all.
jeremy
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The rear box on my old VSX 2.0 8v failed twice in the time I owned it. Second time (pattern part) it just suddenly split around the joint. It only lasted half the time of the original item. Twas a tad loud for a while. Interestingly, the first box got louder as it got older, although it wasn't spit at all, and had to be changed in the end because it was just too noisy.
My current V6 is going the same way, it's fine from the outside but must have blown its baffles out as it seems to be getting louder as time goes by. Stil sounds on the nice side of loud at the moment though.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I had the middle pipe replaced on Xantia and it sounded really loud, I got underneath and released the bolts on the exhaust and twisted it slightly and it was a lot quieter, give it a go, you never know....
Paul
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When I changed my front pipe (in fact both times I did it) I had to scrape a load of filler (exhaust cement) off the ball joint on the back box, because it was creating a gap which made the noise leak out.
If you've gone to a "fast fit" on your exhaust, they probably don't bother scraping off the old filler or take enough care in putting the new filler on. Result, one noisy exhaust and one disatisfied customer.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

have you seen the joint of the back of the ZX box (think its the same as the Xant)? Just how annoying are they? I've never yet got one that clamps up & seals first time.
Great when it works

Post by Great when it works »

My genuine Citroen complete exhaust (£550 including cat) lasted almost exactly two years and one month. It held on just long enough for the guarantee to expire then the half inch of wafer thin pipe that goes from the front of the back box to the 'doughnut' rusted through. I bought a cheapo replacement back box (£45) which seems much better designed - the gap between the box and the 'doughnut' is filled with a nice thick bit of weld.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Check the welds for completeness I have had new exhausts with incomplete welding where the pipe meets the box (Genuine Alfa Romeo quality).
Just a thought.
Pat
My Cars:

Post by Pat »

Thamks for your advice. The place i got it from have agreed to change it, as it is noisy. By the way ,there are no leaks at all it doesn't touch any where i think it was just a duff one.
Cheers PAT p.s. LOVE THE FORUM