Clonk and Knocking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Clonk and Knocking

Post by user_3150 »

Hi everyone. The cars going well except for the front suspension. If I am on full lock either way, when I start to turn the wheel back while the car is stopped or movind very slowly It makes a Clonk type sound. Also driving along bumpy roads the front suspension knocks. Could they be linked and what is the possible cause of both problems any ideas much appreciated.
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

itll be your drop links mine done the same cost £12.50 per side and 10 mins to change them its a different car to drive now fells much tighter.
dont bother trying to unscrew nuts cut them off as you get new ones with the links and make sure you get the right ones as i think theres 3 types just have a good look at yours ie which way the nuts are
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Could also be front bottom ball joints - but do the drop links first, they're cheaper and easier. If that doesn't work, its probably the bottom ball joints.
//NiSk
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Cheers for the replies. It will be a job for saturday my wife will be happy.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I have looked on the gsf site and they only go up to 1998. Will I have to get the droplinks direct from Citroen? Or would it be worth popping into my local gsf first?
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

have a look to see what size the nuts are on the droplinks - i think the early ones had 16mm nuts and the lates had 18mm nuts, with opposing 90 degree heads.
(or was it one angled and one straight?i cant remember)
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alec</i>

I have looked on the gsf site and they only go up to 1998. Will I have to get the droplinks direct from Citroen? Or would it be worth popping into my local gsf first?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
They are on the web site

N42265 ANTI ROLL BAR DROP LINK XANTIA 98> £10.00
I've just replaced mine from GSF
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Mornlng. I did the droplinks yesterday and what a diffrence it has made the full lock clonk has gone and most of the bump knock, it also feels like I'm more in control of the steering. I still have some knock though so would I be best off changing both bottom ball joint or just the one I think it is (N/S). Once again thanks for everyone's advice.