xm oil pressure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stephen burch
My Cars:

xm oil pressure

Post by stephen burch »

I have not long acquired a 1994 xm 2.1 td auto and gave it an oil and filter change using 10 w 40 semi-synthetic oil with an API rating of CL for diesel engines. The engine got very hot last night whilst looking for the family pet dog (he's not too keen on fireworks and the sky was lit with them).I took the car through the field where we normally take him and after a while the engine lost power and died .it started reluctantly and died each time I used the throttle. The dash display flashed up "engine oil pressure" so I managed to get it home and let it cool down for the night. I went out this morning, checked the levels and she reluctantly fired up but when I took it out I didn't get very far and it did the same again. Is it possible that if I change the oil and possibly filter to 15 w 40 semi-synthetic diesel specific oil that it will be ok again as the oil has only been in there for around 50 miles.
Before changing the oil I put engine flush in with the old oil and left it running for 8 minutes. The old oil was good and hot and flowed out easily and the replacement filter was bought from this site. The engine has done 170000 miles and ran well with negligible smoke on start up or running and passed the MOT emissions test first time. Any thoughts appreciated. I am hoping it's not terminal other wise it will be looking for a new home.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I think that if you have used an engine flush then you will need to replace the oil and filter a couple of times in the first 500 miles. It sounds as though with that kind of milage an engine oil sensor has probably gone kaput. It's probably gotten all the dirt and smeg out of all the sensors thus lighting up the dash warning. 10W 40 sounds a little thin for such and older diesel. I would go for something a bit thicker. The light could mean anything really. Low oil level, faulty pressure switch, oil pressure relief valve defective, oil pump not working properly, worn engine bearings and high engine /oil temp.
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

It might be worth getting the oil pressure checked at a garage.
I spent a fortune on new bits a pieces on my first car (1.3 golf) to try and solve the oil pressure warning, before actually getting the pressure checked.... it was about 3psi at idle [xx(]
ZEGA
My Cars:

Post by ZEGA »

Regarding oil, me and my friend both with 2.1D XM-s use same oil, Fuchs 5W50 and i must say his car is doing fine with it and spend no oil at all and my is doing fine with it but spend some oil...
I guess that oil is great but my motor is holow...
ZEGA
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Zega,
Is your TD12 burning oil or just leaking it (i.e. blue smoke from exhaust)?
//NiSk