Xantia front strut mountings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oldgit

Xantia front strut mountings

Post by oldgit »

I've owned my '94 Xantia TDSX for nearly 4 years (I previously owned 4 BXs in a row) and 72,000 miles (total 176,000) and, apart from the inevitable clutch clip, it's been totally reliable. I've noticed that that the front suspension has been getting harder over the last few weeks, so I thought, no problem - new spheres on the front first and take it from there. On the way to the supermaket earlier, there was a loud clunk from the front o/s but the car seemed OK so I drove the remaining half mile and parked and had a look while the wife was in the shop. I unlatched the bonnet and then noticed, as I got out, that something had been pushing the bonnet up. Opening it, I was horrified to find that the o/s front strut mounting, held onto the top inner wing panel by three bolts had completely disintegrated caused by severe corrosion. The wing itself is undamaged but the strut, sphere pipes etc. are now floating free held in only by the bonnet.
So to my questions - being saturday afternoon I can't 'phone any parts places up, and a search here didn't find anything so I assume it may not be a common problem:
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I checked the underside for the last MOT and there is no significant rust anywhere.
Is the mounting available as a separate part? - I know it is separate, and that the strut rod fits into it and is held on by the large nut on top, but I can't see it listed in the catalogue.
Is it also separate from the casting which holds the sphere, or is it all one part?
Finally, where can I get one from?
Thanks for reading.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The strut mounting is a one piece casting with the sphere screwed into it. There are several different types according to model which appear to be between £80 and £90 from Mr Citroen. Might be worth trying a breakers, but you'd need to be sure you got one from the same model as yours. I have heard of this happening before but don't know if it's what you would call common.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

This problem seems more common in some places than others.
Basically, it's the same problem that happened frequently I understand on the Continent with the XMs. There have been a few reported cases over here in Oz and whatever you do, don't drive the car until it's fixed as it can have very dangerous consequences.
There have been a couple of guys who have made up gadgets to act as safeguards against this but unfortunately, the one I normally link to is currently a dead link.
For the record, it was also apparently a common problem in of all places Malaysia on BXs. Owners there put it down to a combination of heat, humidity and lousy roads.
Alan S
oldgit

Post by oldgit »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll try the breakers on Monday.