BX Steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

horrid1
My Cars:

BX Steering rack

Post by horrid1 »

[8D] The gaiter on my left hand steering rack needs replacing!!(RHD vehicle) The power steering ram is coupled to the rack by a pin on a collar. The collar is held on the end of the rack by a fancy ball-joint arrangement which I have managed to remove (with much cursing)!! My problem is "How do I remove the collar from the rack?" Is it screwed on? or is it pressed and loctited on? Any advice please?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Lurve your log in handle [;)][;)] unfortunately or coincidentally, it also just about describes the job you've embarked on; 'tain't nice!![B)]
When I did mine a couple of years back, I did like we all do & thought it would be "nice" if I fitted a new boot. To help maintain the life of the rack seals they have to be done to prevent water and grit grinding them out. Unfortunately there doesn't seem any real easy way of doing them or should I say, the side with the hydraulic ram fitted; the rack should come out by rights. If you are going to do this, then you might as well do the job properly and check the hardydisc (steering coupling) and fit a seal kit to the pinion at the same time, then at least you can fiorget the whole job for a few years.
Option #2 is to get a plastic cap to cover the lug that the ram attaches to, buy a "stretchy" type of universal boot rather than the genuine Citroen part, wrap the rack end in heavy plastic sheeting (like builders use), spray it all over with silicone spray andtry to stretch the boot over. Just to make life even more interesting, it is also recommended that they are fitted inside out and rolled over to the correct side when fitted, so in other words, you've got a fun job in front of you.
If anyone knows a simpler way, please firstly let me know and secondly let me know why you didn't tell me a bout it when I asked a couple of years ago.[:(!][:D]
Alan S
horrid1
My Cars:

Post by horrid1 »

Thanks alans for your reply. I am not doing this horrid job for fun!!The New Zealand warrant of fitness inspectors demand it be done for a warrant. No warrant-No registration!!!They have me by the "short&curlys".I am removing the boot from a donor car so I have to do the job twice. I am pretty sure the fitting is pressed on so will have a go using a hydraulic puller and some heat for the loctite. I will have to make a special clamp to fit around the rack, because there is not much room under there. We'll see what happens..
[}:)]The login handle is a play on my surname!!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If you're going to go to that amount of trouble, why not simply pop the rack out & save the risk of busting things?
In the long term, it'll possibly be a sight less trouble than pressing the collar off & then trying to shrink it back on.
Alan S
horrid1
My Cars:

Post by horrid1 »

Good thinking alan, I'll look at that tomorrow, Thanks Ernie
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

I got this boot done by my usually robbing local Citroen dealer. They only charged £50 or something and so I cant see it being too hard a job.
horrid1
My Cars:

Post by horrid1 »

Thanks Alans and ItDontGo,I removed the rack from the donor car,( it meant taking out the motor) and pulled the fitting off the end using a Sykes Pickavant hydraulic puller.It is a 0.4mm interference fit. I then made an extended clamp arrangement so that I could use the puller through the left hand wheel arch and it worked a treat. It did'nt take too much heat to expand the collar to fit back on. It is reasonably easy to get at the rack after removing the air filter, battery and distributor and left hand front wheel. I now have a spare steering rack without a gaiter, Thanks again for your input, Ernie[8D]