Xantia Alarm misbehaving.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oxyray
My Cars:

Xantia Alarm misbehaving.

Post by oxyray »

Hi, I have a '96 Xantia 1.8, 16v LX petrol, long time ago the key fob blipper thingy stopped working so now i use the key to lock/unlock it. Sometimes when i stop the motor, the indicator lights come on for 2 seconds, & i know the alarm will sound when i close the door, so i'm ready for it, I open & close the door quick, turn the ignition back on & press the button on the dash to stop the siren. This is ok, but i sometimes come in from work at 3 am, & just that 2 or 3 second of siren is enough to turn my normally good tempered neighbour into a grumpy old sod. My question is, how do i permanently disable the siren ? There is no key switch under the bonnet, & pressing the dasboard switch for 5 seconds does not PERMANENTLY disable the siren. Where is the siren ? I can pull the wires off, or will cutting the wires on th sensors stop it going off, or what about filling the sensors with putty or blue tac ? I'm desparate ! Help ! Cheers. Ray
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Ray, the alarm control circuits are under the passenger seat under the carpet. Pulling the plugs on the control box may help. Not sure what this does to the immobiliser though. Disconnecting the sensors in the doors won't necessarily stop the alarm sounding. I suspect the failure of the key fob is related to the situation. The setting and disarming of the alarm control is only via the fob really. Could you try and get the fobs working again?
Also it is fairly certain that the sensors in the doors need replacing. They seem to have a life of around five to eight years. They cause allsorts of false triggering and replacement is not difficult or particularly expensive. They are Citroen parts though and only replaced in pairs. Others may have some thoughts for you too. Robin
beezer

Post by beezer »

It might be a silly question but have you tried replacing the battery in your key fob blipper thingy?
oxyray
My Cars:

Post by oxyray »

Yes Beezer I tried the batteries, what happened was, the batts were running flat in 3 days, i enquired about the price of a new key fob, it was £63, so i thought sod that, anyway about 3 months later, i thought i'd bite the bullet & get one. The guy came out to the car to hold it up to the receiver, & it would not 'read' the new fob. Ah, 'you'll need the reciever as well' was the reply. Yeah its only £130 ! ! ! So, i thought the car is not worth much more than that so i decided to forego the luxury of opening the door by mysterious radio waves & do it manually. That was about 18 months ago. but now it's started being a naughty boy. I was told by a guy who 'does' Citroens, that if I unplug &/or tamper with the control box under the carpet, it would defauld, & lock up the immobiliser & not let me by-pass it, therefore requiring a tow in job to the Citroen main dealer. A situation to be avouded at all costs, with labour approaching £75/hour+++. So its down to me, & i think the easiest solution is to disconnect the siren, but nobody seems to know where it is. Is it a secret ? Or does nobody really know ? I'll bet Robin knows where it is !! Cheers. Ray
oxyray
My Cars:

Post by oxyray »

Of course "defauld" = default, & "Avouded" = avoided. I really must use the preview facility. Ray
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Ray, if all the Xants are the same then mine is under the battery tray in it's own housing. Best wishes and good luck. Robin
macs

Post by macs »

The Xantia alarm unit on a 1994 TD is under the passenger wing, up against the bulkhead. Remove the plastic splash guard to get at it. I had the same problem, alarm not turning off and not responding to the fob. Problem was that no power was getting to the receiver even though all fuses ok. Had to rewire. (Not a big job)
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

If you are considering removing the unit from under the passenger wing it will only stop the siren noise. It will not stop the headlight from flashing. ( not on a 93 Xantia TD anyway)
macs

Post by macs »

True, but you can stop the headlights flashing by removing the relay to the right of the fuses, bottom right of the fuse enclosure. Best find the root cause; Haynes manual helps but there is a mistake in, I think, the alarm circuit diagram. Use the central locking diagram and check that you have power going to the receiver unit.
oxyray
My Cars:

Post by oxyray »

Thats what i wanna do ! Stop the bl**dy siren noise, Ive removed the relay for the headlight flasher, I just want to cut the wires to the siren. Ray
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sounds like water in the passenger foot well.Mine does the same.Now is been raining very heavy,its doing it again.I pull the carpet up a bit & spray the wire & block with wd40 & that cure it for a while.The button on the dash only disables the interior sensors.When it works,press it,& the alarm light lights up,the lock & deadlock it,then it starts to flash.Have a look under the carpet to see if its wet.
oxyray
My Cars:

Post by oxyray »

Yeah, same here come to think of it, For the moment i've pulled fuse No 15, thats stopped it, but ive lost the interior lights. Cheers. Ray
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hello,
My P reg 16v VSX alarm is misbehaving too----it made all four flashers work (without putting on hazard switch )---I just pulled F17 fuse----the plip still works the central locking and deadlocks.
Where is the alarm unit on a 97 Xantia----it`s NOT under carpet.
Thanks
Greg
oxyray
My Cars:

Post by oxyray »

No, it's not under my carpet either. Ive replaced fuse 15, & removed 17 & 3, I seem to have all functions & interior lights have returned. So far so good. Ray
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Can anyone say where the alarm unit is on a 1997 Xantia 16v VSX. It isn`t under carpet on nearside. Also, are the Xantia gearbox/engine mountings the same as Bx. It doesn`t list them in GSF site.

Thanks
Greg