Citroen AX 1992

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

halflife_37

Citroen AX 1992

Post by halflife_37 »

Got a Citroen AX Debut 1992 and the battery charging light on the dashboard keeps coming on intermittently (more often than not). Have change the drive belt and recharged the battery. Also the drvers side indicator bulb (brand new) at the front isn't working although the back works (quiet dim) and so does one on the side panel. Passenger side system works ok. Any suggestions.
Cheers
beezer

Post by beezer »

My guess would be the alternator brushes. Is the car charging?
halflife_37

Post by halflife_37 »

Ran the car after charging the battery and it sound sluggish again the battery light comes and goes. Disappears for abit on revving the engine.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Is the alternator belt tight ?
If yours is like our old one, the alternator rotates on a pivot, you undo the clamping bolt, slide the alternator around the pivot, and re-tighten the bolt - nowt sophisticated like brakets as found on my diesel, and most other cars !
Failing that, I'd check all the earthing points. Not sure if indicators and battery problems are related, but worth checking the earthing points. I think the book of lies gives details of where these can be found.
Please also remember that the pivot point of the alternator is an electrical connection - if you look, there is only the one wire coming from the centre of the alternator( the +'ve ). Make sure this area ( especially the 'join' ) is clean.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Have you got access to a test meter?
If so, put it accross the battery terminals with the motor running and you should get about 14.5 volts- if it remains around the 12 volt mark then you have got charging problems.
If the belt is tight, and the connections good, then you are most likely looking at a dead alternator.
Scrapyard is a good source-I wouldn't bother with changing the brushes or rectifiers, I have done all that in the past and it seldom soldiers on for much longer.
beezer

Post by beezer »

If it ends up being worn brushes you have to weigh things up. You don't know what condition the brushes are on a scrap alternator. I bought a brush/diode pack (Valeo) and ran an alternator for a couple more years. Cost me £12. Depends on what the price of a scrap is.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

My local scrapyards seem to want 25-30 quid for an alternator - a replacement one is only £58 + VAT from GSF, so may be worth considering.