4x4 BX x2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Bamber
My Cars:

4x4 BX x2

Post by Dave Bamber »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 56272&rd=1
Now here's a cracking resto project, keep someone busy for a while[:p]
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I am not familiar with the BX 4x4.
What are the practical benefits compared with a standard BX?
What market segment were they targetted for?
Are these cars just a historic curiosity?
Mike
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Would love to own one if for no other reason than to say I had.
Never driven one nor ever likely to being where I am, but at the time they were made, the Japs were playing with a lot of constant 4 X 4 so it was doubtless a case of being on the starting blocks if this form of transmission became the norm.
I understand theyw ere quite nippy off the mark particularly in the wet and I could imagine that in teh snow they would be a handy accessory.
Transmissions and exhausts were a weakness and terribly expensive and performancewise I understand they were no slouch but not quite up to BX16V standard.
The engine was the 8 valve version (GTi I think) and a few have tried to adapt them to a 16V engine but I have yet to hear of anyone doing it successfully.
It has been said that the 16V engine would destroy the tranny, yet Peugeot had a 16V 4 X 4 that seemed to work well and supposedly had the BX rear suspension, so whilst it was somewaht of an orphan, I think for an enthusiast it would be a very practical & desrireable motor car.
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

BX 4x4's are indeed very rare, not only were very few sold (in the UK) but many of them were chucked back to the supplying dealers when they went wrong early in their lives. Can remember a 4x4 estate (a real rarity) blowing its transfer box at 28,000 miles! That one got sold to a local trader who fitted a s/hand BX rear beam, petrol tank, gearbox etc etc and chucked all the 4x4 bits away!
Those that survive (without the transfer box blowing up, or stripping the splines into it) are OK until you need a new exhaust (£500) or the clutch goes. No problem buying a clutch, its a actually a standard 16v item, its fitting it! This involves removal of the engine, gearbox, propshaft, transfer box etc etc and its usually judged to be 2 days labour!
Amazingly, David from Stadium Motors in Swansea can rebuild broken transfer boxes, and has put a few of this rare car back on the road.
RichardR
My Cars:

Post by RichardR »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xantiav6</i>

What market segment were they targetted for?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">They were originally brought out soon after Audi introduced their Quattro onto the rally scene, and everyone was rushing to jump onto the short-lived 4WD bandwagon.
My brother had one as a company car and seemed to enjoy it at the time, although someone else would've been paying the bills of course! [;)]