ZX alarm.Again!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oldnail
My Cars:

ZX alarm.Again!!!!

Post by oldnail »

I thought the alarm on my '97 TD was behaving too well.Everything arming and disarming as it should.Until last night when it kept false alarming.I switched off the ultrasonic side of the alarm but still no joy.Now have alarm switched off.Anyone know a quick way to just disable the siran ie just have the lights flashing etc so I can carry out a few checks without disturbing the neighbors.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I'd also like to know the answer to this one!! I've got used to it as a typical citroen electrical bug but would like to get to the bottom of it.
Is there a known dodgy door switch somewhere, for example?
Simon
oldnail
My Cars:

Post by oldnail »

Could well be Simon.What I would like to do is isolate the siren, perhaps with a hidden switch and then if the alarm went off whilst testing (at 3AM!!)at least it would not disturb anyone and you could tell you had not found the fault by the rapidly flashing neon under the clock.
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

From the handbook:-
De-activating the siren - To prevent the siren from sounding open the bonnet and remove the cover from the alarm located behind the right hand headlamp (it's located in the inner n/s wing). Switch off the device using the ignition key. The detection functions remain operational.
As an aside, as well as checking the door sensors remember to check the bonnet switch. That's caused a problem for me in the past.
Stephen
oldnail
My Cars:

Post by oldnail »

I thought I could do this too,but I've got the later model where Citroen removed this funtion.I think it was because the insurance companies did'nt like the idea.
Many thanks.
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Water leaking from the roof mounted aerial onto the IR receiver could be worth inspecting.
SC
martin036
My Cars:

Post by martin036 »

My girlfriend has a 1996 zx 1.4i that at the moment is suffering cronic alarm problems with the siren and lights going off whenever the ignition is turned off/doors opened etc.I am at the end of my patience with it so in desparation I disconnected the siren. According to the handbook and has been quoted above there is a key switch behind the righthand headlight - WRONG!!!, well not on this model anyway.To get at it you need to pull the spring holding the side light out and let the sidelight just dangle out of the way, if you look behind that you can see the brown connecting block to the top of the siren, using a meaty flat bladed screwdriver should enable it to be prised upwards and away.I also found undoing the two 10mm bolts on the underside of the housing did nothing to make access to the siren easier ( I'm sure the only way of removing it is to take off the wing??) anyway these two bolts are accessible with a 10mm socket on an extension by crawling under the front of the car.After a couple of days with alarm still activating ( but no noise !!)this morning the headlights wouldnt stop flashing so again in desparation I have taken the relay out ( this is behind the fuse box under the dash )it was the black one top third from left, but if you put your finger on it when the lights are flashing it will be the one that pulses and clicks the most.Since reading this and other forums on Citroen alarm probs I have learnt that a probable cause of these problems is all down to a very simple cause.
THE BATTERY MAY BE RUN DOWN!!
So the battery is on charge and with a bit of luck when it is fully charged everything will be sorted.
Watch this space!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Hi all, just been reading the posts about citroen alarms, and all seem to have flashing lights when the thing goes off. On my ZX TD SX 1997, I dont get any lights, just a siren.
Is mine broken or is it supposed to not have flashing lights?!?
If its broke (or they have been disconnected) where might I connect them back up, turn them back on, or look for clues as to why the dont flash?
Hope someone could answer me this as its been bugging me for a while.
Cheers
Simon
martin036
My Cars:

Post by martin036 »

Wilkobob - As I mentioned in my post above, the relay for flashing headlights is behind the fusebox under the dash, top row of relays, third from the left.If its not there, then its probably been taken out in the past!
As for the alarm activating all the time, the problem has seemed to be cured by leaving the battery on charge overnight.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Thanks martin.
The relay was all corroded, so have replaced it, and now the lights flash! Wheeey heeey. Cheers for the help. I used to have a problem with the alarm going off all the time, and i found it was to do with the boot lid filling with water, (messed up rear wiper.. it wouldnt stop going!) once it was all dried out, and all the seals cleaned etc, it doesnt leak anymore, and the alarm has stopped going off. (it used to go off about 10 seconds after leaving the car) - presuming there must be a switch in the boot lid somewhere that activates the alarm. I wreckon its a common problem the boot lid filling with water, as ive seen 3 hatchback zx's with similar problems.
If this helps anyone...
Cheers for the help (again!)