BX teething problems.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

portugeezer

BX teething problems.

Post by portugeezer »

Hi all,
I've had my BX for a week now, and am having a few teething problems.
On the suspension height adjustment next to the handbrake, I've tried to move it by pushing it away from me but it's solid and won't buddge for love nor money,any ideas?
fan won't cut in on radiator when idling for a long time, and can anyone tell me what the heater blower fuse in the car is shared with?
Big trip to Yorkshire on Friday, so want things to go smoothly.
Regards
Portugeezer.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

1) the suspension height linkage runs under the car - simple steel rods in guiding clamps. These may well be dry - and more likely than not - the rear linkage mechanics has seized by rust.
BTW : you are sure to move the lever towards you - releasing it from the locks - before trying to move it ?
2) That would be the 3 pole thermoswitch on the side of the radiator - next to the LHM reservoir. Recognised by the 3 heavy wires running to it.
You may test it by unplugging the 3pole connector - then bridge either 2 possible pairs with a heavy wire (on the cable connector). This way you should find a high speed and low speed on the fan.
If this is OK, then the thermoswitch is burnt out in the low speed contacts - a very common problem.
However - if you can only find a high speed - then you have a problem in the fan wiring circuit.
3) The heater blower is best tested by connecting directly at the plug outside in the blower compartment. There is a connector for the blower motor right in front of the blower housing.
It's a very common problem with the blower motor, that the motor brusehes has worn out - meaning a full weekend dismantling everything to get at the motor [}:)]
Note that the speed circuit resembles a variable resistor on the blower motor's <font color="red"><i>earth</i></font id="red"> side - thus the motor has a constant +12V feed other side with ignition on. Carefull when messing around with cables then !
Heater blower is fed by fuse F2 (25A) together with instrument lights (not backlighting).
4) Drive safely and calmly to Yorkshire - that would ensure a smooth ride [:D]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I'd just like to add a couple of other things to what Anders suggests:
(1) Anders is referring to left-hand-drive cars. On UK rhd Citroens you move the height lever to the left (i.e. away from you) before moving it back or forward to adjust height. The notches which keep the lever in the selected height position are on the right-hand side.
If the height lever doesn't want to move, then the pivot needs to be lubricated and possibly dismantled, but :
DON'T ADJUST FROM UNDERNEATH THE CAR UNLESS IT'S FIRMLY SUPPORTED ON STANDS OR OVER A PIT.
(2) It normally takes a fair bit of heavy work to get the rad fans working on a 1.9 diesel BX - towing heavy loads uphill for example. If waiting at idle, once the thermostat is open do check that the radiator eventually heats up both top and bottom. The contacts for the fan switch are in a pretty corrosion-prone position (low-down near the bottom hose outlet and also under the overflow for the integrated expansion tank).A clean-up of the contacts with a wire brush may well be in order before testing.

(3) If you don't have a Haynes manual, the heater blower main feed in the bonnet scuttle, where the fan lives, goes to a brown 2-way connector in front of the blower. Again, these contacts can corrode. If 12v is reaching this connector with ignition on and the fan control set to Max speed, follow the black-sleeved feed further down - there is second brown connector before it reaches the fan. Check voltage and condition of connectors here too (muggins here disconnected this 2nd connector accidentally while cleaning out dead leaves and didn't realise it....).
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

ah well - left - no, right - no, it is left - no (darn) it IS to the right in a LHD.
Nahh - we're speaking RHD here - must be to the left then - or [:I][:I]
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

The rock-stiff lever is very common, I had it as well when I bought the car. Once the thing is repaired (i.e. joint disassembled, greased with water-proof grease) it is a good practice to let the car "sit down" overnite, i.e. to set the lever to the lowest position.
The linkage will not get stuck that easy and "cit-calisthenics" is then performed everyday, which helps to keep the system flushed (at least this is what I was told by second-generation Cit enthusiast).
BTW, would not it be easier if everyone drove on the correct side of the road, i.e. right-hand one? :-))) (I remember my driving on the wrong side of the road in GB... what a nightmare! I especially hated roundabouts...).
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

I was born and live in the UK but prefer driving on the right, a LHD car seems more natural to me.
But you could never change it over in the UK. The driving habits/abilities of your average driver are pretty appauling anyway. There would be complete chaos if things swapped over, Grannys ploughing the wrong way up motorways etc.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Nahhh ...
Sweden did it no problem ... [8D]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Nahhh ...
Sweden did it no problem ... [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I dunno about that Anders; can be quite dangerous constantly opening the door every time you think you are going to change gears.[:D][:D][:D]
Alan S [:o)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by portugeezer</i>
Big trip to Yorkshire on Friday, so want things to go smoothly.
Watch it - they still eat missionaries up here! [}:)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CommY</i>

I was born and live in the UK but prefer driving on the right<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So do a few people in the UK, it seems, especially those who wait until they come to a solid line/blind corner/pedestrian crossing before they overtake.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The driving habits/abilities of your average driver are pretty appauling anyway. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Some European countries are <b>much</b> more 'appauling'
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Grannys ploughing the wrong way up motorways etc.
Is she? She should be stopped immediately before she kills someone! [}:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The worst bit of LHD for me is headbutting the window when reversing! It would be worhtwhile changing over to the other side just top make BX clutch cables easier;)....
Stewart
portugeezer

Post by portugeezer »

Thanks guys,
Some gems of advise, which will point me in the right direction.
Fot me the priority is the rad fan.
One other thing, while I was running on tickover waiting for a nuclear meltdown before the fan would kick in, the stop light lit up and another light under the charging light a kind of U shape with 3 little waves on it.
Apart from the comforting thought that all the lights work, I think it must be low reservoir fluid. This would have nothing to do with a hot engine would it? I know silly question.
Yorkshire's by BX is out this weekend, too many niggles to try a long trip. So Hull trains can take the strain.
Definately a baptism of fire with this babe.
Kind regards
Portugeezer.