Clutch pedal mechanism

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Update: Got as far as putting new clutch clip on and new clutch cable, but, we havn't got a pair of 11 - 12 inch long nosed pliers so can not get the cable to clip in... getting pliers tomorrow and will try again! Travelling to work tomorrow in my daughters 94 fiat punto...not looking forward to driving that, but hey, good of her to go without for me.
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Saw Doc Fan</i>

Update: Got as far as putting new clutch clip on and new clutch cable, but, we havn't got a pair of 11 - 12 inch long nosed pliers so can not get the cable to clip in... getting pliers tomorrow and will try again! Travelling to work tomorrow in my daughters 94 fiat punto...not looking forward to driving that, but hey, good of her to go without for me.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
When you remove the other end of the clutch cable you should be able to push it through and it will clip in. At least it did when I changed it! Align the clutch pedal properly, i.e. lift if with a spare shoe or something (I used a spanner). It should be an easy job to do then!
Cheers,
John
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

John - that's a SUPER tip [8D]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

When I did mine, I got my mate to push in the clutch cable under the bonnet, and then clipped the pedal onto the cable before I tried to refit the pedal. Worked a treat, and no long pliers required!
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Ok, here goes, tried everything to get the clutch cable to clip into the clutch clip, but nothing is working, it feels like its in, but, when you press the clutch pedal it's not!
We've pushed the cable as hard as we can and it still wont' click into the clip, the only way it can be done is with very long nosed pliers, which we've tried to buy from various shops but no-one sells any longer than 9inch, so, still stuck. We've tried taking the pedal off and doing it that way, but, there is not enough cable to make it possible...
If anyone has any other way of doing this job, could you please help, it's now getting to the point of thinking "stuff it, get another car",
but when the xantia is running I love it.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I found that the trick with the clip is to have the metal part only partially clipped on, once the cable is in you clip it fully on.
The suggestion above of feeding the cable and clip together through the bulkhead would work also, although then you have to fiddle attaching the clip to the clutch pedal which is a job in itself.
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Cheers mate, but we've tried attaching the metal part of the clip once the cable is in place but it didn't work, there is not enough room via the bulkhead way to do it, so now, using the old clutch cable as a tester, we've filed the very top part of the cable nipple off, and it goes into the plastic part of the clip a bit further, so now going to do it with the new clutch cable, (the new clutch cable has a slightly longer nipple on the end), so hopefully when we file a little bit off it will go into the clip a further than it has been.
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

The way I did it was to seat the outer properly at both ends, then push the inner from the clutch end to make sure there was no slack.
Inside the car, I used a pair of 9" artery forceps* (as sold in fishing tackle shops for removing hooks from a Pike's mouth) and clamped them on the inner where it emerges (ie to stop it sliding back down). I then used one hand to lift the clutch pedal whilst guiding the clip onto the end of the inner with a long screwdriver. Click. Job done [:)]
* The advantage of the forceps is they clamp on and leave your hands free.
Alan
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

If you buy a cable from GSF...BIN IT...
or file end of nipple...only 2mm, nipple will then go into the clip and with no effort at all, and CLICK it's in!!!
Tried with forceps, pliers etc etc. with no success, if cable had have been an original part, I wouldn't have been pulling my hair out for so long.
Job now done thanks to brother and kirb-side motors...
davyc

Post by davyc »

Thanks to all above contributors on this topic......it makes interesting reading. My clutch went today and i'm lead to believe its just the clip ( he says keeping fingers crossed! ). Managed to make it to the local dealer before he shut and will be tackling the job with Haynes manual in hand first thing tomorrow....wish me luck!
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

John - that's a SUPER tip [8D]
Thanks Anders [:D]
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davyc</i>

Thanks to all above contributors on this topic......it makes interesting reading. My clutch went today and i'm lead to believe its just the clip ( he says keeping fingers crossed! ). Managed to make it to the local dealer before he shut and will be tackling the job with Haynes manual in hand first thing tomorrow....wish me luck!
If the pedal just went to the floor it is most likely the clip! Common problem [xx(] As Anders told me once ... if the clutch breaks it will also be permantly engaged, but you wont be able to pull the cable from inside the bonnet (where it goes in to the pedal that is). Enjoy changing it .... can be a pain in the %ss, but you will feel extremely proud when you do it yourself! I did! [:I]
Cheers,
John
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Wouldn't bother with the Haynes manual, it tells lies...
Just follow the tips on here and you won't go far wrong.
My xantia 1.9 td lx, is now running perfect again [:D]
davyc

Post by davyc »

After nearly four hours of blood,sweat and tears I finally did the job!![^] The Haynes manual wasn't too bad although I did opt to do the job without ripping the dash to pieces!! You defenitely have to be a bit of a contortionist to complete the job and lying upside down for that long can't be good for you!! Why do they put that bolt in that way the bas*ards - it would be so much easier.....!
Lots of good advice on here anyway and it was gratefully recieved, if I was to give any advice it would be that you remove the metal reatining clip off the clutch clip, then push the cable into the clutch clip and refit the retainer.....oh...you know what i mean!!
Thanks again all and fingers crossed I won't have to do it again although next time it won't be so bad.
PS -You were right about feeling good once finished, its at least £150 saved anyway.
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davyc</i>

PS -You were right about feeling good once finished, its at least £150 saved anyway.
Yep, £7 for the clip and your own time! Cit garage quoted me £250 to do the job. Took me 4 hours as well (saved £60.75 a hour!) Most jobs on Cits look impossible to do, but with the help and support of the people on here you can do most yourself. Cheers to this forum .... £$%%^$£ to Cit dealers [}:)]
Cheers,
John
P.S. the brushes go soon and your back will feel better after 2 days! [:o)][:o)][:o)]