Xantia TD (95N) - doin' a service

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smashymike

Xantia TD (95N) - doin' a service

Post by smashymike »

Just about to do my own service (geez!!) at 75k. What's the best oil for a TD? Got my bitz from GSF, filters etc but need to know how i clean the fuel filter? In petrol?? With an airline? Haynes manual absolutely no good at all. My car has all the probs associated with Xantias of this age, abs light on, glowplugs dodgy, accy sphere ticking but i reckon i'll start with the easy things first ie a full service. Any hints tips appreciated. What am i likely to miss that needs doin'.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Depends on your car DIY experience [:p]
But I'd say you're starting out correct [:)]
If this is your first diesel, then note that after a fuel filter service you will have to pump up (prime) the fuel system, to get the engine started and then taking in the fuel itself.
It <font color="red"><i>may</i></font id="red"> take surprisingly long time working on the primer bulb (up to some 50 strokes) until it gets hard.
The air filter is very important for your MPG value.
Engine oil & filter change is very important to engine service life on a diesel.
GSF stocks a good turbodiesel engine oil.
That's about the basics. You dont need anymore for now - unless you experience engine starting/running problems.
The hydraulics system problems is a whole different chapter - whenever you have the time / energy [:D]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smashymike</i>

but need to know how i clean the fuel filter? In petrol?? With an airline? .
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You're going to put a new cartridge in the filter housing, so you don't need petrol or an airline. After you've removed the four screws in the top, lift out the old filter and get rid of the diesel out of the bowl. There may be water in the bottom. At the base of the bowl there's a drain tap, but I empty mine with a cook's baster(if that's the name of it - plastic tube with a squeezy bulb on the end) Wipe out the bowl with a lint free cloth. Put in the new filter, make sure the rubber gasket is properly in place and refit the top. Prime the filter by squeezing the primer bulb. When it's quite firm, the car should start. It's a good idea to put some plastic or rags under the filter before you start. Dripping diesel isn't good for your clutch.