2 Seat Citroen??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardR
My Cars:

2 Seat Citroen??

Post by RichardR »

I'm currently reading a book called <i>Inside Track</i> by <i>John Francome</i> (published in 2002) and he makes a passing reference to two seater Citroen.
This probably sounds very sad, but I racked my brains trying to recall Citroen ever producing a two seater, but I can't think of any, so I'm wondering if anyone can put me out of my misery, or whether it's a mistake by the author?
<font size="1">It'll probably be something really obvious now, and I'll feel really stupid!</font id="size1">
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Could he be talking about the group B rally cars? Have a look herehttp://home.planet.nl/~koper193/groupb.html, although the cutaway BX drawing shows the rear seatback, despite having only 2 doors. The bare BX bodyshell picture is quite interesting.
RichardR
My Cars:

Post by RichardR »

I don't remember seeing those tooling round in rallies, or on the road for that matter. My brother did have a BX 4x4 for a while, but I don't remember it looking like that!
Incidentally, what've they done to the headlights and grill? It looks like the bastard lovechild of a Maestro van and a Mk II Granada...
Anyway, back on topic, I think the reference is to a standard production model. Here's the context...
<i>Dave parked Pippa's beat-up old Land Rover next to a sparkling scarlet Citroen two-seater in the courtyard at Ridgemoor.</i>
There've been no other references to it before or since (so far at least).
ffelan
My Cars:

Post by ffelan »

were there not quite a few pre war 2 seater citroens?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">sparkling scarlet Citroen <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Its obviously a complete work of fiction!!! That line's a dead giveaway- it should read "flat, matt, and dull red citroen"
Jon

Post by Jon »

Wasn't there a Cabriolet version of the Light 15 that was a 2 seater?
There were also 2 seater Mehari versions (doubt thats the sparkling red car though)
Perhaps it was a BX with the rear seats folded down!! [:D]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes but not many Land Rovers despite the fleeting glance of one in the hands of resistance in the film 633 squadron.
I think he is referring to the SM - the roadtest of which measured the rear knee room as 8.5 inches and stated
'Accommodation
There is ample legroom in the front when using the car as a two seater: for four occupants there has to be a certain amount of sharing. Even with the front seats well forward, there is little leg or head room behind. The rear backrest is also too upright for comfort for comfort on long journeys . . .'
I seem to recall the President of France turning up in a stretched one for the opening of the Channel Tunnel and promptly getting into the Queens Phantom Limo with which he was apparently quite taken. Both cars had been loaded onto a railway truck at the time (probably behind a southern region slam door train which was all there was going through the tunnel at the time!)
jeremy
RichardR
My Cars:

Post by RichardR »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">sparkling scarlet Citroen <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Its obviously a complete work of fiction!!! That line's a dead giveaway- it should read "flat, matt, and dull red citroen"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Maybe the owner had just spent all day working with a bottle of T-Cut and a tub of wax! [;)]
Ok, after a bit of digging, these are the only two-seater Citroens I can find...
Type C (1922 - 1926)
15CV (1932 - 1935)
2CV Pickup (1980 it would appear)
Mehari (1968 - 1987)
None of these really seem to fit the bill, so I suspect that it may just be an unlucky random choice of manufacturer by Mr Francome! [:)]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

There was a 2 seat version of the BX. Not sold in the UK. It was a utility type vehicle though. Kind of a van/hatchback crossbreed.
In what time period is the book set?
Could it be a C3 Pluriel? Has four seats but converts into an open top pickup.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Two seater Citroen ? It must be a C15 van surely ? [:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I'm sure that I saw a 2 seater BX diesel on E-bay a couple of months ago. Some guy had turned a regular 5 door in to a flat bed pick up. It was for custom shows and stuff but he was using it for small furniture removals. Please don't quote me but hey I hadn't had a drink that night so it could just be true.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

now i seem to remember something about there being a little coupe soft top thing which was a 2 seater, aimed at women, just before the demise of Andre Citroen, i guess before WW2. The only picture i've seen of it was black and white, so who knows!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nick</i>

Two seater Citroen ? It must be a C15 van surely ? [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What engine is in the C15 diesel?
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

They would make a great pro street hot rods !!!!!!!