Xantia brake judder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brookdale31
My Cars:

Xantia brake judder

Post by brookdale31 »

Can anyone help me. I have recently bought a 1995 Xantia 1.9TD. There is a judder on the brakes as the vehicle comes to a stop. It appears to be coming from the nearside front. I have put new pads in,swapped both calipers as one was leaking and put on a new nearside drop link as the ball joints were worn. This has still not cured the problem. There is a knocking noise, which i presume is one of the anti roll bar bushes. Could this be causing the judder? I can only feel it through the pedal, it does not effect the streering. I have considered warped discs but a feeler guage check on both sides doesn't show anything up. Is this a common problem?
Eamonn
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

its the accumulator sphere mate. the center sphere on the front. change this and it should remedy the problem. mine was particualy bad. a change made the vibrations much easier! i still get a bit of judder though but i put that down to dodgy hydrolics!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Having just chased a similar fault on my new XM, its a good idea to check out all the possible mechanical faults as well before changing the accumulator sphere (although this does appear to be a typical cause just on the Xantia). In my case, after changing the steering ball joints without improvement and checking the condition of the lower front bushes and bottom ball joints, it turned out to be a warped disc - somthing I had originally dismissed since the previous owner showed be the bill for two newly fitted discs from just a couple of months ago!
//NiSk