ZX ONE EYE OUT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

radar
My Cars:

ZX ONE EYE OUT

Post by radar »

Hi All,
Thought that my faulty NS headlamp would just be a simple bulb
OH NO,
Bulb fine, and wiring connectors and earth to unit check OK
Checked fuses - OK
Checked (what I think are headlamp relays- green ones on left hand side top under dash) and swapped them over and still a fault.
So they must be a break somewhere ?... checked under column switch for loose connections and wiring beneath .... OK
Tried to trace loom from light to dash and it seems to track under wiper area, to o/s and then to a huge silicone black multi plug..
thankfully it got to dark and cold so called it a night..
SO my question is are these blocks prone to water damage to connections etc, could the fault be in there ??
I know its a long shot but are these prone for electric faults and where are the common areas to look
Its just the O/S works fine, and my MOT is due NEXT WEEK !!
Thanks in advance
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmmm, headlamp relay as far as I'm aware is on the extreme right hand side high up behind the dash and awkward to get at, I had one get hot and melt dut to bad connection but that took both lamps out not just one, you probably have a bad connection that has got hot and gone completely open circuit, problem is finding it.
Check for multiplugs in the inner wings behind the headlamps, usually a fancy sliding clip type plug is found at this location.
Dave
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Radar
You are diagnosing by guesswork - it is much easier to get a meter or a test lamp and see where the voltage is getting to. There again, I am a lazy bugger! [;)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Does the ZX have separate fuses for each headlamp in the same way that the Xantia does?
I spent time tracking down why my '95 Xantia had one dipped beam out. There is one relay for both lights, so if one light works and the other doesn't the relay is OK. The feed from the relay is split at some point between the relay and the fusebox. If you have voltage to the fusebox, the fault has to be between the fusebox and the earth after the headlight.
Have you tried playing with the plug on the back of the headlight?
In my case it turned out to be a dodgy earth connection inside the headlight, one of the spade connectors inside was corroded, a little emery cloth and its all happy now.
radar
My Cars:

Post by radar »

Hi all,
Uhn113X I did have a meter and a haynes manual, but hands on knowledge from this forum is the best learning curve I have found.
located my broken wire/ terminal connector under dash (eventually) and now both eyes working again....
Thank god, I can now see whom I am going to hit !!
CU
RADAR