Self service?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Self service?

Post by Jshodgson »

I have just bought my first Xantia (TD 126k 95) and don't know whether to change the oil and filter myself and keep running it till it stops/MOT, or to have it serviced professionally. I've been quoted £95 for the service £60 for a change of hydraulic fluid and £100 for new glow plugs if needed.
The car only cost me £550 but I'd like it to last without the need to rely on recovery vehicles.
Thanks.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

It all depends how happy you are with DIY and how much time you have - it's different on Hydropneumatoic Citroens, but not THAT difficult, and you have excellent resources like this forum.
For a £550 car, the majority of that value will be in its current MOT and tax. Service history may help but you can keep oil/filter/parts receipts and tippex the date/mileage onto each oil filter before fitting it to give some indication you are doing what you say. Before you make any decisions you need to assess the state of the car and what DOES need doing.
(1) Oil changes and filters should be fine - no surprises here. If the Xantia has an XUD 1905cc like older PSA models then get yourself an 8mm square drain-plug-tool from your tool shop and buy a handful of copper washers for the sump drain plug (pennies at your Citroen/Peugeot dealer or GS&F). Much else is DIY-able.
(2) Keeping it running and riding well also depends on the state of the hydraulics, notably the 2 green spheres under the bonnet at the top of the struts, 2 under the rear of the car, and 1 to the front of the engine. Depending on the model, there may be more. It helps to put that on your post when asking questions here. Changing most spheres is reasonably easy so long as you use the right tools, and at around £25 a sphere will knock main dealer prices into a cocked hat. The fluid change will be needed if the car has gone more than 60k miles or 30k miles since its last LHM fluid change. Another indicator is the colour of the LHM. Syphon out a little from the reservoir and check the colour. It should be green (it starts out as a bright green), but transparent. Brown and opaque liquid or worse indicates you need to change the fluid. It also helps to was out the tank and filters. All of this is DIYable.
(3) Glow plugs should be a bit cheaper from GS&F - and you'll be getting the OE Beru plugs rather than other aftermarket ones. Only change them if there are starting problems AND you can identify the cause as the plugs.
Keep asking the questions....
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I would say that if you feel confident to have a go yourself you will do a better job than having it dealer serviced. It's not all that complicated, and if you have a reasonable tool kit you should be laughing, and saving yourself a couple of hundred quid into the bargain.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

4 glow plugs from GSF: £20.
Getting the old one out of #1 cylinder: priceless!
But that is the only tricky bit. The Xantia is fairly service friendly.
Change the oil and the oil, air and fuel filters first. That will get the car back to a decent running motor as a rule. A good fast run on the motorway to blow the soot out of the exhaust and that is about all they need.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jshodgson</i>

£60 for a change of hydraulic fluid
Thanks.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And wouldn't it be fun to watch them do it! - or not do it!
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Last time I had a Xantia in for a change of LHM the bill showed LHM........1 Litre ! And this was a Citroen dealer. I now do all my own servicing (with a little help from the kind persons here).
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Air filter is simple and straighforward and is amust for a diesel.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I've been quoted £95 for the service £60 for a change of hydraulic fluid and £100 for new glow plugs if needed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
At those prices, plus any hidden "extras" that they find, the car will have cost you in reality at least £805.00 already.
If you can change a spark plug, you can change a glow-plug, but do they actually need doing?- the phrase "if needed"- I bet they will tell you its needed......unless you have some form of starting problem then you shouldn't need to look at them.
Oil changing is about as simple as it gets!!!-if in doubt, get a haynes book and have a read.
The hydraulic fluid change can be messy, and you need to bleed the brakes to do it properly, and the bleed nipples can be a bit difficult, but none of it is rocket science. Again, only do it if neccessary-look at the condition of the fluid in the tank.
I can't quite work out how they can only want £60 to do the fluid change, but £100 to do the glowplugs......I know which job I would rather do......
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The £60 fluid change probably doesn't include bleeding the brakes out.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Only DIY gives you the assurance that the job has been done right, and gives you control of materials and workmanship. A few years back I had a workshop change the clutch : specified the brand , and the sly b**** put in something cheap and Spanish for the same price . . . the clutch has been crapulous ever since.
tudor
My Cars:

Post by tudor »

If you are capable of doing it your self. Do it,otherwise you'll soon become best freinds with your local cit garage. And they will love you !
Deisil xm est 95,
used daily.