Dodgy power steering?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Dodgy power steering?

Post by Jshodgson »

My power steering (Xantia TD 95 126k) makes a strange noise when the wheel is turned even a very small amount and sometimes stops causing the wheel to become VERY heavy (usually at low revs/speeds) what's up with it??? I've only owned it for a week.
Ta
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

We had an owner in Scotland with a similar symptom - showed up to be a dry/dirty servo cylinder rod.
Try have a look down there if the cylinder rod surface is nice clean, shiny and greasy - like any other hydraulic ram cylinder rod.
smashymike

Post by smashymike »

My TD SX (95N) has a hissing noise when steering wheel turned, more pronounced left to right. Have had car since 3k miles, now 76k and nothing has come of it, just assumed this was 'normal'!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I know that most cars make a hissing sound on the steering some more that others. The wife's VX Astra sounded as though it was from a lorry when on lock. All OK so never worried about it.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

All Xantiae hiss a bit when steering. The steering is powered by the same hydraulic pump that feeds the suspension and brakes so at idle it has a lot to do and the steering may seem heavier. Is the car idling at the correct revs? You might want to check the condition of your hydraulic system.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Not on '95 Xantia, since it has a 'double' HP pump - 6 pistons for PAS, 2 pistons for suspension/brakes.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

alexx how can you tell if you have a newer pump . mine is an 96 but only has two pipes on it ???
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I had the same thing on my Xantia and it was the pump at fault.
I got mine from Pleiades (how do you spell it??) 2 year warranty, cheaper than GSF and way cheaper than Citroen.
Took 20 mins to change too
Paul
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

John,
Models from '94 or so are/should be equipped with anti sink and 6+2 pump. 6+2 pump is a bit longer than older type, with 2 high pressure pipes and one rubber hose attached. And the other thing, there is no flow-distributor mounted above the pressure regulator