Xantia self -braking habit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterC.

Xantia self -braking habit

Post by PeterC. »

2.0 Xantia SX petrol Estate, 1996: When I apply the brakes and come to a halt, just as the car is almost at a stop (5mph and less) it seems to brake itself - as if I’m momenterily pressing the pedel a bit harder. This results in a sort of kangaroo style braking effect. Seems ok at above 5mph and ABS seems to make the right noises upon emergency braking. Any ideas? I can’t think this is normal.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Dissable the ABS, see if there is a difference.
Has it always done this or have you just got the car.
Bear in mind that the power brake's on a Cit are not the easiest to feather.
Dave
PeterC.

Post by PeterC. »

Got the car recently - with 42,000 miles ont’ clock. Back brake calipers were practically siezed due to electrolytic reaction of alloy and steel (due to corrosion, due to lack of use) and front discs were pitted with rust and have been replaced along with new pads as well. I thought the ‘self-braking’ was due to the siezed rear calipers, but as they’re now de-siezed it would seem not.
I get your point about Citroen slightly over-assited feel but I’ve driven Xantias before and don’t remember the brakes feeling as odd as mine do.
I’ll try the ABS disconnection idea. Never had a car with ABS before, or an air-bag, or as many fuses as a Xantia has got. I wonder what will go wrong first, my money’s on the alarm system. My previous car was a BMW520SE, and despite ze German quality the alarm went wrong twice - isn’t technology great!