Thumping sound when reversing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

billy_bob

Thumping sound when reversing

Post by billy_bob »

Can anyone suggest why applying the footbrake when reversing sometimes causes a single, loud, thumping noise in my ZX 1.9D '96 Estate? The thump doesn't happen when braking VERY gently.
The sound seems to come from the rear of the car ... is this a well known problem?
Thanks, bb.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Not the garage wall is it.....[:D]?
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

hehe! not every time!
no ... I was wondering if it is something to do with the suspension ... but I don't know what?
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Could be the rear subframe mounts. Do you get a clunking noise when going over bumps level crossings etc? Try applying the handbrake when travelling slowly either forwards or backwards. If you get the same clunk its probably the rear mounts. There are loads of post on here about them if you search. Change all 4 at the same time if any need replacing.
Cheers
Duncan
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

Thanks Duncan. Yep, going over speed bumps causes the same thump.
It's at the local mechanics getting an engine swap after a head off-and-on for suspected gasket leak that turned out to be a cracked head ... only discovered after re-fitting!!! Cheaper to fit the bargain engine/gearbox found locally with full service history and head replacement done by main dealers 14 months ago, than to replace head alone. Still currently in donor car - that was sold due to crash damage - and seems to run very well .. .no bubbles in the coolant!!!
I'll ask mechanic to look at the mounts as he has hydrolic lift, etc.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry for this but could it be some thing simple like the rear brake shoe retaining springs have come off? This would allow the shoes to ride up in the drum when you revearse and this would evntualy lead the the shoes 'SNAPPING' back in to place. Only mention it as my ZX TD had a right nasty sound from the rear and it turned out to be kn**kerd rear brakes. Easy fix for me.