Xantia Rear Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bemused13

Xantia Rear Suspension

Post by bemused13 »

Bought Xantia 2.0 VSXi about 6 months ago and safe to say I absolutely hate it! Whilst I love the power the car has squeeked and had niggles from day 1. But since Friday, the rear suspension seems to be stuck on its highest setting and I cant shift it at all. Must mention that it was only working intermitendly before then and always made noise. I also have excessive wear on the inside of my rear tyres.
I am in the Notts area and wonder if there is anyone out there who knows what might be wrong with my car and would be willing to fix it! Finding a reasonable Citroen Garage seems to be impossible. Be much obliged if you can give a girl a hand!
[url="mailto:"]margi1329@yahoo.com[/url]
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Sounds like it just needs a bit of tender loving care. Sorry I'm too far away to help, but I'm sure there's someone near you that would be willing to lend assistance if you promise not to hate your poor old neglected Xantia.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

By the sounds of the wear on the inside of the rear tyres, squeaks and stiff ride, I'd be putting my money on rear arm bearings needing replacing.
Alan S
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I'll second Alan's opinion. You need to find a garage to replace the rear arm bearings. There's a branch of GSF in Nottingham (Phone 01159 503723) Maybe if you give them a ring, they will know of a local garage who gets their Citroen spares from them.
bemused13

Post by bemused13 »

Hi again and thanks for your comments. I have had the car diagnosed by a local garage and they reckon that its the level mechanism valve/rod thats gone as well as the car needing 2 spheres. I have been quoted a price of £250 for this. Is this reasonable and is it worth doing at all?
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Hi,
I reckon that if you paid a fair price for your car, you should get this work done. That doesn't sound excessive a price for that work. Having said that, I would take the above advice and check with the local GSF branch for someone they recommend. A 2nd opinion would be useful.
I have recently joined the Xantia club, with an Activa, and so far I really enjoy it. When they are working, there is nothing else like them.
There is loads of help on here and www.activenet.co.uk, so you will always be able to find someone who has had the same trials (and tribulations!) as you.
Hope this helps.
Antony
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If the inner edges of your rear tyres are worn, it's strange that the garage didn't mention the arm bearings. You can see for yourself. Stand well behind the car and look at the rear wheels. If they tend to look more like this /----\ than l---l, the bearings need doing.
Kered

Post by Kered »

When I had a VSX I had the same tyre wear. I believe it only happened to Michelin Pilots as it never happened to any replacement tyre. I did eventually change the rear suspension bearings but the old ones were like new!
Derek