What's this? picture now uploaded!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nick</i>

It certainly runs on diesel, but I've no idea what the internals of the thing will look like. I've always imagined they would work something like a very miniature oil-fired central heating boiler ??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If it runs on diesel there must be some ignition/burning process[}:)]
Crikes I've got a fire breathing Citroen[8D][8D][8D]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it does run on diesel,the heaters are made by Webasto can be found on some xantia diesel estates (exclusive model),synergies & C8's.see also this thread http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... ms=webasto
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Its like the night heater on a lorry, but on xant's isn't it because there so efficient the dont get very warm quick, or something.[;)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yes, It's a Webasto auxilliary heater - they are fitted as standard to HDI's in Sweden (I wonder why?) and I just discovered that I have one on my newly aquired ('98) XM 2.5TD! I'm currently trying to get hold some circuit diagrams since mine has blown one of its many fuses.
They are also fitted to Audi A6's with the TDI engines (over here in Sweden, that is).
//NiSk
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Wife's Xantia Exclusive has this feature - when she arrives home after a short journey it sounds like Concorde has arrived. First time we noticed it caused a bit of panic because of all the "smoke" (mostly steam actually) coming from under nearside wing.
Revue Technique refers to it as an "Auxiliary heater to warm up car and engine quicker" and says it will continue to operate for up to a minute after ignition switched off.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hdi's produce plenty of waste heat just like any other engine, the difference is simply that more of it ends up going down the cars exhaust pipe and not into the cooling system.
Dave
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I want one on my C5! It takes ages to warm up and defrost the ice in winter. Not to mention dad's Picasso.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

Hdi's produce plenty of waste heat just like any other engine, the difference is simply that more of it ends up going down the cars exhaust pipe and not into the cooling system.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is that due to it being direct injection as opposed to idi?
The only other di diesel I've driven was an old Maestro TD (2.0 Perkins engine) and that took ages to warm up, despite the thermostat etc seeming ok.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yes Nick exactly, the swirl or pre-chamber of the indirect head is where the bulk of the heat gets accross to the cooling system, as you know this doesn't exist in a direct arrangement.
Dave
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Ah, thats what I was wondering.
To give the old Maestro credit it had a very efficient heater, capable of blowing out loads of warm air after only a minute or two of running and before the temp gauge even moved off zero. Very economical too, it always puzzled me how it could apparantly be wasting so much fuel through the clouds of black exhaust smoke it produced, but still do 60 mpg!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Seeing this heating device under the N/S/F wing may explain what the large multiplug socket does which I found when trying to trace the cooling fans loom. This socket has something like 6 or more wires running to it but they end up being connected to a blanking plug.
I found this fitted to both of my Xantias.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Similar to the Gurtner heater available on 2CVs, Dyanes, Meharis, and also on some BigMoneyWorries as an optional extra. This used petrol and had spark ignition using a coil.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Auxillary petrol heaters were very popular in Sweden around the 70's - 80's, everyone had there own version, SAAB used Eberspächer (pardon the spelling if your German) - I had one on a SAAB 96 V4 - spent more time tring to fix it than anything else! Volvo had their own made by one of their subsiduaries (Volvo Flygmotor). Most imported cars had Eberspächer or Webasto fitted by th eimporters.
Nowadays most people use electrical preheaters instead and lots of company car parks have outlets provided. (Electrickery is much cheaper than petrol over here).
//NiSk
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

Just arrived at work in my shiny new (well, new to me) HDi Xantia Exclusive and found that (a) I too have one of these heaters under the front wing, and (b) it was apparently still running at the end of a 20 mile / 30 minute drive.
Does anyone know what it's doing to my fuel consumption? (I haven't put enough miles on the new car to actually fill it up yet, so I have no idea what it does to the gallon anyway at the moment...).
Thanks
Pete
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I don't know how the Webasto heater is connected on the Xantia, over here in Sweden they usually have a timer-starter as well, so ypu can wake up to a nice warm car before driving off into the freezing fog . . .
In such a case, they are actually supposed to save you fuel, since the unit is a dedicated water heater and the amount of fuel used is considered to be less than starting the car on a cold engine and running it until warm.
//NiSk