Xsara SX plip key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

Xsara SX plip key

Post by drpau »

Okey dokey, Ive got a Xsara sx and my key works by the button to unlock the car (and the indicators flash when I do it) but it wont lock by using the plip button on the key. I decided to take the rubber bit on top of the buttons out- I found that there is only one button- the unlock button, the other one has either disappeared or has never been there!? Am I going mad?[:I]
So basically, the car will unlock by plip but not lock by plip, is this normal?
cheers
Paul[:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry mate this is not normal. The plip should have one button to open and one to close. They are on a tiny curcuit board but you can by it seperate to the rest of the key. Citroen sell the whole plip (key) in kit form so you can buy just the bit you want. Have you taken to key plip apart to see if the missing piece isn't in the plip body?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

What year is the car (is it an IR or RF plip)?
The buttons on (one of) my late '98 model RF plip are prone to coming off the circuit board. They can be resoldered. I would guess someone else already tried to fix yours and lost the switch in the process (easily done if you have mechanics fingers).
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

(easily done if you have mechanics fingers). LOL.
I've only got 9 fingers including thumbs [:D]. Now no longer in enginering. The wife was not happy with the head stiches I needed after the last accident I had on an industrial welder, not the sort they use for car body panels the big un's that get berried in the ground and have their own power fron a seperat sub. [:D] Now have viutually no grip with the left hand so struggle a bit when things are tight [:(]. Makes car manintenance interesting though [:D]
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

ahh, so I will be able to buy the actual little button thing itself seperately?
Im not sure if its infra-red or an RF one, the car is a 99 T reg if that gives you any clues
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

99 'T' reg that'll definatley be a RF control same as mine. IR seem to always have that little red led on them. My rubber buttons are worn so I went to my local Citroen dealer who brought up a picky on his computer of the 'unit' the whole thing was in kit form. The buttons weren't cheap about £16 + VAT. Hope this heps.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Will the new button slot in or will it need soldering then? I suppose 16 quid plus vat isnt too bad- it looks cooler pressing a button than shoving your key in [:D] the lock!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpau</i>

ahh, so I will be able to buy the actual little button thing itself seperately?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Maybe from an electronics shop (i.e. Maplins), Citroen will do you the whole of the insides but it won't be cheap.