Antifreeze

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Antifreeze

Post by Dave Bamber »

The nights are drawing and it's getting colder, so I'm thinking about antifreeze. (I know, I should get out more...) As my Blingo is over 2 years old and 38000 on the clock, I'm thinking it's time to change the coolant. Is it correct the HDI needs a special type of A/F called OAT or something like that, or can I just pour in the Bluecol?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Dave - the handbook for the HDi Xantia just says RP No. 9979 16 or 17 which means diddly suqat to me. I think these are just Citroen part numbers. - personally i would go with teh Bluecol, though wait and see if anyone tells you differently!
Apparently Vaelo recommend to avoid premature matrix failiure to flush the system with forte flush and fill with "a good quality antifreeze and forte cooling system conditioner"
still no mention of antifreeze type though
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

This thread on Honest John may be of interest
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... =4&t=25934
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

How bizzare....
been down to the car with a torch (I dont sleep much), and the antifreze in the car is green (no, its not LHM!). Not the Pink OAT stuff.
Make what you will of that!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

OAT is the stuff I need then. If it is long life though, how long is long life? one year, two years, three? Suppose I have to take a trip to the dearlers for it then and get me leg lifted....
Marty. Mine was pink when new, but is now a kind of mucky brown/green colour. Maybe thats how yours has gone?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I think its supposed to be good for 4 years if what ive just read on t'internet is true. Im just puddled as to what my HDi has got in it as its (just) 4 years old and im sure its never had a coolant change yet.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Dave,
Is it not in the Blingo service book? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it should be changed every 2 years (otherwise it loses it corrosion inhibiting properties?)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Phil - Xantia H/B for same engine states "to be replaced every 75000 miles or five years whichever is teh sooner"
Yeah right - if I left my ZX that long it would be choked! - Me I would probably do it every 3, but then you pays your money etc etc. (last Fiasco never had it changed in 6 years and lived to the ripe old milage of 98K before I sold it - mind you it was the cast iron pushrod kent engine)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Dave,
This OAT (Organic Advanced(?) Technology) versus ethylene glycol is an ongoing debate out here mainly due to some of the massive corrosion problems involved. Sone claim that the OAT if used from new is better whilst opponents to it reckon it's a disaster waiting to happen for several reasons not the least of which is the slime that builds up inside the cooling system when it's used. I have had personal experience with this so I know it does happen. Here is a recent posting I made on it.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... s=coolants
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... s=coolants
I recently again saw another article on this subject that showed pics of failures and their causes & if I can find it I'll also post that to further emphasise the point.
Basically, the golden rules are:
Don't mix types.
Don't dilute using tap water
Don't buy coolants/anti-freezes that are either too cheap to be effective and/or don't specify the amount of ethylene glycol in their mix.
Water treated by the reverse osmosis system is best used and usually is by reputable suppliers or manufacturers. In concentrates, in instances where the reverse osmosis isn't available, use demineralised water obtainable often from Supermarkets.
Hope that helps.
Alan S
[Edit/] Found the bludger; 'ere 'tis
http://www.are.com.au/Hor/horror_pictures.htm
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Marty. Mine was pink when new, but is now a kind of mucky brown/green colour. Maybe thats how yours has gone?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Could be Dave, Could be. Will take a syringe full in the morning and have a good look at it in daylight.
Well nighters all![:p]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Now I'm confused! It's a bit late for deep thought just now and I'm at work at 7am, so I will come back to this tomorrow. Thanks for the input so far chaps.
Mr B
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Just found this in my "Revue Technique" for the Xantia HDi
"LIQUIDE DE REFROIDISSEMENT
Capacite : - sans clim. :8,5 litres. - avec clim. : 11 litres.
Depuis l'annee modele 2001, tous les modeles recoivent un nouveau type de liquide de refroidissement. Il est formellement interdit de melanger l'ancien et le nouveau liquide de refroidissement
Preconisation :
- jusqu'a l'annee modele 2000 : liquide Revkogel 107 ou Procor 3000 (protection jusqu'a - 35°C).
- depuis l'annee modele 2001 : liquide Glysantin G33 ou Revkogel 2000. Periodicite d'entretien :
- niveau : tous les 2 ans ou tous les 20 000 km. En entretien severe, tous les ans ou tous les 15 000 km.
- remplacement et purge tous les 120 000 km ou tous les 5 ans jusqu'a l’annee modele 2000. Depuis le millesime 2001 : pas de remplacement preconise du a l'adoption d'un nouveau type de liquide de refroidissement a duree de vie illimitee."
Don't know what your French is like but basically it says (hope I am not being patronising here! My French ain't brilliant!)
Type of antifreeze changed with 2001 model - do NOT mix old and new types.
In pre 2001 models, check the level (niveau - I presume means strength of mixture not just water level) every 2 years or 20k. Purge and replace every 120k or 5 years.
Since 2001 no replacement necessary because of the adoption of a new type of antifreeze which has unlimited life.
I am open to correction here - but I think that's what is says - if unsure ask your French mistress!!!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Quote:
"This thread on Honest John may be of interest"
I have great difficulty beliving anything from a forum where the car-by-car breakdown states:
"ABS pump will rust up inside if hydraulic fluid not changed frequently" (must go and find my ABS pump (XM)- maybe thats whats causing the lamp to light!)
or
"Strut top bearings can fail and break free. Check by jacking the car up and pulling" (they could probably be sued for risking life and limb from that daft suggestion!)
"Horrible American-style foot-operated parking brake" - funny, Mercedes have been using it for years . . and no one complained.
Apart from Honest John's apparant total ignorance of all things Citroën, all that's refered to here is a discussion forum which is no better informed than the one here! AND is the refered to thrown con-rod supposted to be due to using the wrong antifreeze???
Yep best leave that one alone . .
//NiSk
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Well, thanks Nisk. You seem to have torn me apart good and proper there. All I did was to suggest that a thread on another forum MAY be of interest since it was on the same topic - antifreeze. Nowhere in THE THREAD REFERENCED is there any mention of thrown con rods, nowhere is there anything written by Honest John, nowhere is there any suggestion by me that the people on the board are more knowledgeable than the people here - I merely quoted the thread as an additional bit of reading on the matter. In fact, most of the contributors to that thread seem to be Cit/Pug drivers who are offering advice in much the same way as several excellent contributors do here. In fact also, I suspect that at least one of the contributors also contributes frequently (and knowledgeably) to this board.
Suggest that perhaps next time you see a contribution from me you just ignore it, rather than spending time rubbishing it (and all those other contributors who may or may not know as much as you).
Lastly, HJ is frequently complimentary about Citroens. e.g.In his column last week in the Daily Telegraph he recommended a Berlingo as a best buy to someone.
I suppose my quote from Revue technique is equally inaccurate? Hope I have not misled anyone. Please accept my apologies if I have.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Having read what Alans has to say on the subject i am tempted to have my system flushed and use bluecol (or similar) and just change it every 2 years. My Xantia HDi is a 2000 registered car, built in Septermber 1999 - so its entirely possible it isnt using OAT coolant anyway.
Ive still to go downstairs and draw off a syringe full to look at in daylight (neghbours complain if i prance around outside im me dressing gown and not much else) - so will check back in later if anything to report.