ZX rear arms creaks...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Simon Canfer
My Cars:

ZX rear arms creaks...

Post by Simon Canfer »

My trusty ZX has creaky rear suspension arms so I assume the bearings are shot.
As I use the car daily I'd appreciate advice on how best to sort them; the Haynes manual is a bit scary looking in this area and I don't want to disable the car!
If someone (Jon?!) could post an exploded view it would be useful.
Perhaps the best way to proceed is to get a half-decent subframe from a breakers and refurb that - is it possible to install grease nipples?
Simon
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well Simon, it looks something like this
Not for the faint hearted, BX arm bearings are a walk in the park in comparison. Most people elect to fit a low mileage s/hand rear beam.
If Dave Burns drops by, I think he may have done this job?
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Youch!
Time to drop by eBay for a BX perhaps...
Thanks a bunch,
Simon
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I've found a breakers in Gloucester who keeps these; has anyone tried replacing bearings on one while not on the car? I can imagine that if some serious torques are required it might be tricky.
Plan is to swap current (80000 miles, 1997) subframe for a secondhand one - which will of course be an unknown quantity but can't really be any younger than mine - then swap back to the refurbed 1997.
Simon
Jon

Post by Jon »

Problem is with this job, when you do eventually get the arm off, you find that the axle tube itself is worn! I'll see if I can do some finding out for you, I'm sure that a company was offering recon rear beams.....................
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

If the rear axle is the same as the 306 then there is (according to a post on the Peugeot forum) a company that does rear axles:
http://www.sspengineering.co.uk/
They may be able to help anyway......
Cheers
Duncan